VOGONS

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, cant find any info on google to how to use - install - pkunzip - pkzip on ms-dos 6.22 system.

is there any way unzip files on dos 6.22? thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, by typing PKUNZIP and the ZIP file that you want to extract as a parameter. It will extract all the files in the current path.

PKUNZIP example.zip

To extract a ZIP file that has folders properly:

PKUNZIP /D example.zip

The /D command line switch is for recreating the directory structure inside the ZIP file.

Tip: Put the PKUNZIP executable into one of the folders that are in the PATH environment variable so you can run it anywhere.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 4, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-10-15, 16:20:

Tip: Put the PKUNZIP executable into one of the folders that are in the PATH environment variable so you can run it anywhere.

i put PKUNZIP.EXE on C:\DOS by default PATH on autoexec.bat file and it runs fine.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, I dump it in c:\dos as well
Only thing to add to what gmlb256 said is if you want to extract to a specific folder add that to the end of his command, eg
PKUNZIP /D example.zip c:\games\example
this will unzip everything into the folder c:\games\example but the folder does have to exist first.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got it in c:\tools directory. It's in the "path" variable in autoexec.bat, along with other directories.

path=c:\dos;c:\tools;c:\pctools;c:\windows;c:\pcgeos20;
temp=c:\temp

Other tools in there are pkzip, arc, lharc etc.
Along with things like Norton Commander, drivers, diagnostic programs, benchmarks etc.

The positive thing about c:\dos is that it's hard-coded into DOS kind of.
If you press F5 during boot and skip processing start-up files, the path is still known.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//