VOGONS

First post, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had an interesting issue with windows on my k6-2 300 Asus Sp97-v machine last night. Tried reinstalling windows 98 and just into the install after it hit 100 percent for the getting ready to install part it would crash with divide by zero error. After swapping hardware and even swapping in an already setup HDD of windows that would boot, started going through bios.
I had the virus alert on and didnt think much of it. I was getting prompted by fdisk when it changed the MBR but thought that was fine as I just said yes allow. It turns out it was the cause of the divide by zero issue for the win98 installer.
Switching that option off and re partitioning the drive and installing windows 98 worked just fine after.

Wanted to post this as I did some google searches and most led you to hardware issues or some sort of data corruption. Maybe this will help some one else. It definately caught me off guard, haven't had this issue ever even back in the days when these machines were the norm.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.
Ap43 Intel i486dx4-100 also have a amd am486dx2-66v16bcg.