VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2023-10-20, 10:54:

Do you have your HDD and ODE on the same IDE cable? That can lead to trouble sometimes, especially on quirky chipsets.

I prefer to use older versions of 4in1 on Apollo Pro133A. I've found 4.35 and 4.26 to work pretty well, a bit more headache free if you will.

No the HDD have his own cable. Just for the record, i tried again and reinstalled the 4in1 WITH DMA Mode on.....and everything went wrong again. So it's the DMA mode that messes up every time....found the guilty 100%. Still can't figure out why, since i've formatted tons of Apollo Pro 133 motherboards with this chipset, and DMA Mode was always working!

The BIOS don't allow to change anything about PIO / UDMA mode aswell, pretty disappointing too.

Reply 21 of 28, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:06:

The modem was an external USB one.

So, the rock star engineer would have needed a PCI protocol analyzer and a USB protocol analyzer. Maybe you would have needed 2 rock star engineers, one for each analyzer.

I like those suggestions from marxveix and Garrett W. You can still download the 4.35 driver from Via's website, viatech.com. Instead of using the driver package's Setup.exe installer wizard, you could extract, install and configure individual drivers from the 4.35 package (or earlier 4-in-1 driver packages) through Device Manager. Or, if Windows' built-in driver for the IDE controller gives you good performance with no problems indicated in Device Manager, then just use Windows' built-in storage driver by un-ticking the checkbox for Via's "Via ATAPI Vendor Support Driver" when you run Via's driver installer wizard. There's no shame in using Windows' built-in drivers if they work well, especially when Via's drivers require so much trial & error.

Reply 22 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
STX wrote on 2023-10-20, 11:50:
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:06:

The modem was an external USB one.

So, the rock star engineer would have needed a PCI protocol analyzer and a USB protocol analyzer. Maybe you would have needed 2 rock star engineers, one for each analyzer.

Don't forget the multimeter.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 28, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-10-20, 12:38:

Right. Maybe 2 multimeters to monitor voltage and current simultaneously. And 2 interns to watch the 2 multimeters. Plus a manager, because this is a team now.

_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-10-20, 11:00:

...No the HDD have his own cable....

Are you using an 80-pin cable to connect the HDD to the motherboard?

Reply 24 of 28, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
STX wrote on 2023-10-20, 14:59:
Right. Maybe 2 multimeters to monitor voltage and current simultaneously. And 2 interns to watch the 2 multimeters. Plus a manag […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote on 2023-10-20, 12:38:

Right. Maybe 2 multimeters to monitor voltage and current simultaneously. And 2 interns to watch the 2 multimeters. Plus a manager, because this is a team now.

_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-10-20, 11:00:

...No the HDD have his own cable....

Are you using an 80-pin cable to connect the HDD to the motherboard?

Yes it's the 80pin for HDD and 40pin for the cd-rom.

Reply 26 of 28, by Jonsmith0815

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a solution:

Use 128gb Sata SSD to IDE adapter instead of CF card.
DMA in 98 works out of the box, 4in1 435 install fine and also latency patch installs fine.
Will test more.

Before I was using two CF cards mounted in slot brackets as master and slave via a 40 cable. 80 cable didn’t fit due to the pin in the middle, all my 80 cables have that one hole closed. I tried all possible combinations of cards and the 40 cable, only one of each or both at the end and in the middle.

The 40 cable should be fine as the board only supports udma3. But the card supports udma7. Maybe it’s not backwards compatible? But the other CF is a 1Gb with no label, maybe it’s an industrial card or has no dma, I don’t know. I could try more cards.

I also noticed I couldn’t copy from the ssd to the one cf card. Windows locked upend I had to reset. Then I changed the slot bracket to a plain cf ide adapter that fits directly into the motherboard. Copying from ssd to cf worked immediately.

Will test if DMA and 435 now also works on the CF

Reply 27 of 28, by Jonsmith0815

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested the slot bracket CF adapters on a P2B PIII, DMA works fine only while using the 80 cables.

So the 40 cable was preventing DMA, you need to use 80 cables for these adapters if you want DMA.

Also I had file errors when I used only the middle connector for the CF while not connecting anything to the end of the cable, which should generally be avoided.

Reply 28 of 28, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, let me start by saying that I sold the motherboard months ago, but everything worked, it was simply the activation of the DMA via drivers which caused the corruption of the operating system. Never understood why, I've never done any in-depth check up... anyway I no longer own it. However, similar problems have never happened with VIA chipsets, it was the first and only time to this day.