VOGONS

First post, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ZAP2Qy6.png

That's what I've got!

I'm trying to load it up with some good old classic mid to late 90's games, or even early 2000's if any are lightweight enough for it.

It's been so long since this era of gaming, so remind me of some of the best from back then please! Windows only, I don't have DOS on here.

I've already installed UT99, Quake, NFS 3 and Deus Ex.

Unfortunately, Deus Ex turned out to be a little too heavy for this hardware. Frame rate is a bit too low to be playable.

EDIT: It's a 12 MB Voodoo 2

Last edited by UselessSoftware on 2023-10-23, 04:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2023-10-23, 04:13:

Perfect machine for Quake 2.

That's definitely going on as well, and I wonder if this thing is just a bit too weak to handle Quake III Arena? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo2 ain't got the texture memory for Quake3 without it hitching nor the support for 32-bit textures so it'll look very banded and posterized in places. A "legendary" second V2 in SLI can't do anything about that (in fact the hitching will be worse as there's two cards to get starved with). That TNT2 M64 likely will handle that better.

Since you're using XP, you can't use DIrect3D with the Voodoo2, so that limits its use to Glide titles (and a few OpenGL ones that can use a minigl driver). XP also has problems of its own with some games from this time (the "NT is unsupported" fussiness for example, given NT4 had limited DirectX support)

Requiem, Rollcage, NFL Blitz 2000, Starsiege and Diablo 2 should be fine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

StarCraft 1 with patch 1.16.1 should work too, but not in the Battle.net
Warcraft II Battle.net edition too.

Newer games benefit Quake 3 benefits from a graphics card that supports "Hardware T&L", a feature none of the Voodoo cards ever had. This feature has been implemented since GeForce and Radeon.

Last edited by Disruptor on 2023-10-24, 00:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomb raider 1-3 are good if you are into that.

What about GTA 1 and 2. Still cool games!

What about Turok or a personal favorite: Drakan. It might be stretching the hardware though.

Oh and one I personally would like to try again: Ignition.

Reply 6 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Age of Empires I and II (the original versions), and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2023-10-23, 07:15:

Quake 3 benefits from a graphics card that supports "Hardware T&L", a feature none of the Voodoo cards ever had. This feature has been implemented since GeForce and Radeon.

Q3 doesn't use HWT&L (the renderer was already done before the Geforce256 came out). All of Quake3's transforms and lighting are explicitly software calculated and is designed that way to look consistent on basic OpenGL 1.1. It doesn't even have hardware fog use (all of the fog is a fillrate-destroying texture calc). What matters more is how a video driver's OpenGL ICD handles compiled vertex arrays and elements

apsosig.png
long live PCem