VOGONS

First post, by amsteen60

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Hp Vectra S3 5/90 with 4.3GB hard drive and 28MB Ram
It was running on win95 from long time. it was not working due to a power supply issue from about 10 years.
I fix the power supply from two days ago and I power up, it works fine but not boot it shows only flashing prompt
on black screen.
I insert its hard drive in another pc and win95 works fine
I keep and image from its original drive and I format it with dos on other pc and copied win95 to a folder on it
I put it back in HP vectra and it boots from hard drive with dos 6.22 fine
I install win95 from the folder without any issues but when finished and restarts I get same issue again "flashing prompt
on black screen."

when I inset it again in other pc win95 works fine.

Can I have some help please ??

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hard drive C: is set to a 1090MB drive and you're using a 4.3gb drive ~ have you reset BIOS to correct drive type/CHS values? (BIOS battery is likely dead and needs replacing, which is why it lost original setting)

Reply 2 of 4, by amsteen60

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amsteen60 wrote on 2023-10-26, 13:58:
I have Hp Vectra S3 5/90 with 4.3GB hard drive and 28MB Ram It was running on win95 from long time. it was not working due to a […]
Show full quote

I have Hp Vectra S3 5/90 with 4.3GB hard drive and 28MB Ram
It was running on win95 from long time. it was not working due to a power supply issue from about 10 years.
I fix the power supply from two days ago and I power up, it works fine but not boot it shows only flashing prompt
on black screen.
I insert its hard drive in another pc and win95 works fine
I keep and image from its original drive and I format it with dos on other pc and copied win95 to a folder on it
I put it back in HP vectra and it boots from hard drive with dos 6.22 fine
I install win95 from the folder without any issues but when finished and restarts I get same issue again "flashing prompt
on black screen."

when I inset it again in other pc win95 works fine.

Can I have some help please ??
Did I put this request in wrong section

Reply 3 of 4, by amsteen60

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes bios battery was dead so I replace battery and set bios as I can.
Hard drive in bios is set to auto detect mode
One question : if the hard is not set correctly will it boot from dos 6.22 and stop from win95 ??