VOGONS

First post, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an old benchmark program which was made for Win95&Win98 but it can run on OSes as new as WinXP.
However it refuses to even install if I try on an OS as Windows Vista or newer (no matter if they are 32 bit or 64 bit OSes).
If I try with a VM the result is the same: either it won't install or it won't run if I succeed to install it.
Are there any other possibilities to make it run on Win7 or Win10?
If you wonder why is so important to make this old benchmark run on newer OSes is because this benchmark has a very comprehensive CPU test and I have already a database with results from a 486 DX4 (slowest Win95 I have) up until Q9650 (the fastest WinXP I have).

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's an older version of Sandra like 99, I found that will run the benchmarks only off an install from another system (like you install it to a disk in a 98 system, then plug the disk into something else) but try any of the info stuff that does hardware probes and it will crash. ... however, I've only done that once when finding it when checking out a drive before formatting it on another system which I think had Win7 32bit on it but not 100% sure, and did not note any specific details of what was required to make it work or whether it was a "planets aligned" thing, like the chipsets were from the same family or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 8, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The software is called Infopro and it is attached.
It works fine on OSes up until WindowsXP (although you receive 2-3 errors messages on WinXP before starting but afterwards it's running ok) but no newer ones.

Attachments

• Filename
    ipreg201.zip
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 8, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice find! Here's the website.
The download links don't seem to work for some reason, but the shareware version is featured on this CD.

As you said, the install crashes midway on 64-bit OSses...did you try with Vista 32-bit?
Btw the registered version complains about Serial, so is it necessary to use a specific user name and company to get it working?

Reply 5 of 8, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr.cat wrote on 2023-11-08, 17:26:

As you said, the install crashes midway on 64-bit OSses...did you try with Vista 32-bit?
Btw the registered version complains about Serial, so is it necessary to use a specific user name and company to get it working?

Yes, I tried both Vista and Windows 7 32-bit versions and it didn't worked.
But unlike 64-bit OSes, you can install the software but it refuses to launch.
You can use any username/company and it will work without problems.

Reply 6 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr.cat wrote on 2023-11-08, 17:26:
Nice find! Here's the website. The download links don't seem to work for some reason, but the shareware version is featured on t […]
Show full quote

Nice find! Here's the website.
The download links don't seem to work for some reason, but the shareware version is featured on this CD.

Shareware version is available:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040705005042/ht … ads/ip20shw.zip

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 8, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a question for those who can run this software: after you perform the CPU benchmark (it takes about 7 minutes) is it possible to save the result and upload it here? It is a 1KB file so not so huge 😀 I have a database with results from 486 up to Q9650 and I want to expand this database.
Thanks!

Reply 8 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 7 32bit, shareware from archive link, complains a lot about not being able to read registry on launch, no hardware detected right, but got into it and ran the CPU bench. Toshiba A200 with Core2 Duo T7100 at 1.8Ghz ... ran FPU emulation test, was that because it didn't detect FPU or does it always do it for integer testing?

Had to zip it to be an allowed attachment type..

Attachments

• Filename
    toshbench.zip
    File size
    334 Bytes
    Downloads
    21 downloads
    File comment
    Toshiba A200 T7100 1.8 CPU bench result
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.