VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

What software do you folks recommend for ripping floppy and CD images? I have quite a stack of old driver floppies and CDs that I want to upload to the Internet archive, and I want som images of CD games to mount with DaemonTools in Windows 98 to avoid that spinning CD annoyance.

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 2 of 7, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WinImage... as long as you have your disks in write-protect mode to protect them from Windows, as it can pollute their original contents with nonsense-ware.

For CDs any CD burner typically has the function to rip CD images. Just make sure to use a format suitable if you want to retain additional tracks (not a problem if you are archiving driver CDs).

Reply 3 of 7, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-06, 17:17:

ImgBurn was always my go-to for CD/DVD images.

CDBurnerXP for CD/DVD ripping and burning (Windows). Not sure if DeamonTools requires a specific format?

paradigital wrote on 2023-11-06, 17:17:

WinImage is a good option for both Floppies and CD/DVD, but it’s not freeware.

I got a warm fuzzy feeling after paying my regisration fee. It was higher than I would have liked but worth it. So yes, WinImage for floppies (unless you only have a USB floppy)

HTH

Reply 4 of 7, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In case some of your media do have copy protection: Alcohol 120% (and a decent drive) for optical discs. If you have a machine with XP or earlier to rip on then you can even grab their free "retro edition". And for floppies there's hardware devices, e.g. Kryoflux or Greaseweazle.

Reply 5 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using DiscImageCreator via the Media Preservation Frontend. It works well with all kinds of images and is the only one I've got satisfying results with Multi-Mode CDs (Data + Audio tracks).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 7, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EMT4WIN is free and is what I used to image all my floppies.

image.png

http://www.os2site.com/sw/util/disk/floppy/index.html

Scroll down and download EMT4WIN v4.39. It run on Windows 10.