VOGONS

Windows for Workgroups TCP/IP Disk

Topic actions

First post, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know where I can purchase the TCP/IP addon disk for Windows for Workgroups?
As far as I'm aware, no version of Windows for Workgroups included this.

I'm curious about how this was originally distributed. Did Microsoft sell this as an upgrade? Was it in stores, or was it mail order?

Reply 2 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows for Workgroups, which version?
There's WfW 3.10 and WfW 3.11.

The latter one got the free TCP/IP-32 protocol package.
That's because WfW 3.11 and Windows 95 (Codename Chicago back then) had shared their development phase.

Windows for Warehouses (WfW 3.10) was different.
It was closer to the 16-Bit/DOS world and not so well supported.

Still, I *believe* there was a TCP/IP stack for WfW 3.10 at some point. Not sure if it was publicly available, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-05, 23:26:

Still, I *believe* there was a TCP/IP stack for WfW 3.10 at some point. Not sure if it was publicly available, though.

From Microsoft? Never see any...

Of course, there were third-party products for Windows 3.1, also compatible with the WFW variant, the most popular being Trumpet Winsock.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 27, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information. I'll try to track down tcp32b.exe.

I do remember using Trumpet in Windows 3.1

I wonder if there is much difference between the Microsoft Vs Trumpet implementations.

Reply 6 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 00:13:

I wonder if there is much difference between the Microsoft Vs Trumpet implementations.

Microsoft's TCP/IP is 32-bit, should be faster.
Also, Microsoft supports DHCP, while Trumpet - at least the version I tried - is limited to BOOTP or static configuration.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 27, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-11-06, 00:17:

Microsoft's TCP/IP is 32-bit, should be faster.
Also, Microsoft supports DHCP, while Trumpet - at least the version I tried - is limited to BOOTP or static configuration.

Good to know. Does anyone here use WFW3.11 with the MS TCP/IP Stack? Is there a particular Ethernet card I should try to get?

Reply 8 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 01:02:

Does anyone here use WFW3.11 with the MS TCP/IP Stack? Is there a particular Ethernet card I should try to get?

I'm currently using it, with 3Com Etherlink III - works fine, the NIC driver is shipped with WFW 3.11 and installed automagically.
But I think any 10 or 100 Mbps card should work.

Reply 11 of 27, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just have installed it yesterday on my Tualeron 1400 with a VIA 6120/6122 Gigabit card.
It does not perform well, ofc. But I am glad I can triple boot this machine (DOS/WfW, 98SE, XP).

Reply 12 of 27, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got 2 machines with WFW3.11 and TCP/IP.

First one is a 386/25 generic computer with a 3COM ISA network card, I used this card because the drivers are included with WFW. As you know you only get Netware and NetBEUI by default, so I added TCP/IP (with tcp32b.exe as advised) and removed the useless Netware. Works well enough.

2nd machine is a 500MHz Celeron, with a PnP Intel E100B PCI network card. Added TCP/IP just like the one above, works pretty well too.

I don't use DHCP here, everything has hard-coded IP addresses. I don't know if DHCP works with tcp32b.exe anyway.

Once you've got it running and can ping something, you could try installing Opera and see if you can connect to Google or some old http site. Opera isn't very stable and is also trialware, but at least you can test your internet connection with it.

Reply 13 of 27, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm also using it but purely to copy files between my main PC (running Windows 10) and my 486 PC (via my fibre router). What I am struggling with is to connect from the 486 PC to my main PC (it can't "see" it). However, from my main PC I can "see" the 486 PC and copy files over (I had to obviously grant read and write access under WFW3. 11).

Reply 14 of 27, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that's normal, at least in my experience. The newer OS can "see" the older ones, but it doesn't work the other way around. I was really surprised when I first found that a Win10 machine could connect to a shared WFW drive, but it definitely didn't work the other way around.

I assume that other ppl have figured out how to get around this problem.

It's a bit easier if all your machines run XP or lower, because you can enable NetBEUI and then they can all talk to each other.

Reply 15 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to connect from WFW 3.11 with TCP/IP to modern Linux with Samba - seems to work fine.

Reply 16 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2023-11-06, 10:59:

I tried to connect from WFW 3.11 with TCP/IP to modern Linux with Samba - seems to work fine.

Some implementations of Samba require manual configuration to allow SMB below SMB3 or SMB2.
The magic word is "CIFS" here, I think. SMBv1 isn't being recognized as a valid statement in the configuration file.

Modern macOS (previously known as Mac OS X) is especially nasty here, I think. It doesn't like older versions of SMB (uses latest Samba).
Communication with Windows PC prior Windows Vista/7 is tricky.

The Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) feature is maybe needed to make PCs appear from Vista onwards.
I remember there was an update for XP machines, so they would be visible in Windows Vista network.

The old WORKGROUPS/NetBIOS/NetBEUI system is no longer properly working past Windows XP.
Directly connecting network stations may work, but they won't display in "my network neighborhoods" anymore.

Speaking under correction, though.. My memory isn't best right now.
It's just a bit of half truth knowledge that might be good to remember for troubleshooting. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Samba 4.7.1 - indeed, several years old already.
Note to self to be cautious when upgrading - this version seems to perfectly cooperate with all Windowses, from WFW 3.11 to 11 (10.0.22621.2428).

Reply 19 of 27, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robbbert wrote on 2023-11-06, 07:31:

I don't use DHCP here, everything has hard-coded IP addresses. I don't know if DHCP works with tcp32b.exe anyway.

tcp23b.exe supports DHCP. I've used it in the past and I have it setup in PCEM and am able to access Google.com with Netscape 3.

image.png

Certain versions of Trumpet also supported DHCP. My first ISP was a mom and pop type, back when those were a thing. They sent me a diskette when I first signed up that included Trumpet (I don't know the version). It was what I used with Windows 3.1 to connect via dialup before I switched to WFW 3.11 then Windows 95.

On a side note is there any way to determine what your current IP address is with WFW? There isn't any ipcfg.exe type utility.