Windows for Workgroups TCP/IP Disk

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote on 2023-11-06, 17:36:

Certain versions of Trumpet also supported DHCP.

3.0 still supports only static and BOOTP.
I recall some other issues with 3.0, forcing me to downgrade to 2.x.

On a side note is there any way to determine what your current IP address is with WFW? There isn't any ipcfg.exe type utility.

IPCONFIG.EXE

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 22 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also netstat utility. Though it's more useful to display open connections.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 27, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-05, 23:26:

Still, I *believe* there was a TCP/IP stack for WfW 3.10 at some point. Not sure if it was publicly available, though.

Worth mentioning that IE 3.x for Windows 3.1 included a TCP/IP stack with wizard-based, Windows 95-style configuration so it was a bit easier to use than Trumpet (and free). The problem is that it was dial-up only (no ethernet cards), so it's fallen into obscurity.

Reply 24 of 27, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-06, 12:47:

Some implementations of Samba require manual configuration to allow SMB below SMB3 or SMB2.

Samba is throwing out more and more of the legacy protocols with each release. The most recent version probably won't work anymore.

But this was very helpful for me on a Raspberry Pi with Debian 11 (Samba 4.13):

https://gist.github.com/tinue/9d9ce9c09e9e771 … 9b27f6d0e859c4e

I can connect to my NAS on Win95 up to Windows 11 with this setup. Haven't tested 3.11, might work, too.

Weirdly, this worked fine with Samba 4.13 but it was an annoyance with Samba 4.12, because 98SE hung for a long time every time I tried to access a directory (as I've also commented on Github).

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 25 of 27, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably getting a bit off-topic, but I have 2 old NAS's but they only allow connections from certain OS's. I don't know what OS they run.

Landisk-193A ancient NAS with 80GB drive - can connect to all Windows except WFW.

Noontec with 1TB drive - can connect to W2K and newer. The original OS was riddled with bugs so I upgraded (which fixed the bugs) but didn't help with connections.

Any ideas what's needed to allow these NAS's to connect to WFW? I don't know anything about SMB.

In the meantime, I've installed WS-FTP-LE* to get around the problem until a proper solution can be found.

*WS-FTP-LE is a freebie from the official site.

Reply 26 of 27, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In case anyone is interested in taking a look at an earlier version, at one point I ran across an "A" version of the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 32-bit TCP/IP stack. It's on disc 2 of https://archive.org/details/CICA_Ultimate_Col … reek_March_1996, in disc2/winsock/tcp32.zip. I suppose there is a small chance that it includes something which was removed in the "B" version.

Reply 27 of 27, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robbbert wrote on 2023-11-08, 04:28:
Probably getting a bit off-topic, but I have 2 old NAS's but they only allow connections from certain OS's. I don't know what OS […]
Show full quote

Probably getting a bit off-topic, but I have 2 old NAS's but they only allow connections from certain OS's. I don't know what OS they run.

Landisk-193A ancient NAS with 80GB drive - can connect to all Windows except WFW.

Noontec with 1TB drive - can connect to W2K and newer. The original OS was riddled with bugs so I upgraded (which fixed the bugs) but didn't help with connections.

Any ideas what's needed to allow these NAS's to connect to WFW? I don't know anything about SMB.

In the meantime, I've installed WS-FTP-LE* to get around the problem until a proper solution can be found.

*WS-FTP-LE is a freebie from the official site.

You need to enable SMB v1 on your NAS. But beware! SMB v1 is buggy and open as hell and is a big security risk!
I have Debian VM on my modern machine for that. It mounts shares from NAS over modern SMB and then re-shares them out over SMB v1. My retro machines then connect to my VM instead of directly to NAS. And when i'm done with my retro activities, i shut down the Debian VM.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!