VOGONS

First post, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a known method for printing to a network printer in DOS programs running under Windows for Workgroups?

I've seen software that can do this for other versions of Windows. I'm wondering if it can be done in Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, may I ask which network protocol are you using?

If NetBIOS and/or LAN Manager is involved, file and printersharing should work, I think.
Printing to a file makes things easier, too, I believe.
Speaking under correction, though.

I remember using WfW for Windows stuff and Novell, Kirschbaum software for DOS stuff.
I can't remember using DOS applications on Windows so much.

There was a Workgroup add-on, though which worked with DOS (and indirectly Windows 3.1).
Workgroup Add-On for MS-DOS, I believe.
This one should support MS-DOS applications, at the very least.

Hm. This HP site has LAN Manager drivers, it seems.
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=282

That being said, these are all products from the pre-TCP/IP days.
Back in the early-mid 90s, TCP/IP was barely established in normal LANs yet.
This changed with Windows 98, I think.

Windows 95 supported TCP/IP on paper, but was still heavy being involved in existing DOS/Windows 3.1 networks using IPX/SPX or LAN Manager.

But maybe that was just in my place, not sure anymore.

That being said, there are many other users here who're running vintage networks at home.
They surely know how to print from a DOS applications running on WfW.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can map shared printer ports to your local LPT ports.
net use LPT1: \\192.168.1.100\printer

If you do so, you don't need a printer driver at all - but in your DOS application; like the HP LaserJet driver.
Contemporary printers either supported PostScript or HPGL - or both. Edit: Or it is a dot matrix printer. Many of them were compatible to IBM ProPrinter.

And if you start the network client of your WfW / Win9x under plain DOS, you even have a network client without running the GUI in background at all.

Last edited by Disruptor on 2023-11-07, 12:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-11-06, 20:37:
You can map shared printer ports to your local LPT ports. net use LPT1: \\192.168.1.100\printer […]
Show full quote

If you do so, you don't need a printer driver at all - but in your DOS application; like the HP LaserJet driver.
Contemporary printers either supported PostScript or HPGL - or both.

And if your start the network client of your WfW / Win9x under plain DOS, you even have a network client without running the GUI in background at all.

I can run the network client for WfW 3.11 over TCP/IP from DOS without starting Windows? Which network services can I use this way?

Reply 4 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 23:50:

I can run the network client for WfW 3.11 over TCP/IP from DOS without starting Windows? Which network services can I use this way?

At least file and printer sharing (as client).

Reply 5 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Disruptor Good explanation, thanks for the tip.
I now remember that there also was the "PRN" device in DOS, which by default was an alias for LPT1 (?), but could be changed?
I suppose it was akin to AUX device, which often was an alias to COM1.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 23:50:
Disruptor wrote on 2023-11-06, 20:37:
You can map shared printer ports to your local LPT ports. net use LPT1: \\192.168.1.100\printer […]
Show full quote

Contemporary printers either supported PostScript or HPGL - or both.

And if your start the network client of your WfW / Win9x under plain DOS, you even have a network client without running the GUI in background at all.

no you cannot, WfW 3.11's TCP/IP does not work in pure DOS (it is 32-bit only)

if you want network services in DOS with TCP/IP you have to run them from inside a windows DOS prompt

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^That's right, though I vaguely remember that it is possible to load the 386 Windows kernal without the GUI.

http://www.win31.de/etips.htm

Things like the networking stack may already work at this point.

The Japanese did use this possibility to use Windows 3 as an EMM386 like memory manager on PC-98.

https://virtuallyfun.com/2016/06/21/ms-dos-5-0-dpmi/

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have in the past been able to see the mapped drives and copy files around without needing to be in Windows; the NET command is available in DOS so that these things can work.

Can't remember the exact circumstances, not near the computer currently.

Reply 9 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robbbert wrote on 2023-11-08, 04:35:

I have in the past been able to see the mapped drives and copy files around without needing to be in Windows; the NET command is available in DOS so that these things can work.

Can't remember the exact circumstances, not near the computer currently.

Yes, all that works fine in pure DOS when you're using IPX/SPX or NetBEUI as the protocol. The rest of the WfW 3.11 stack has both real mode and protected mode components, but the add-on TCP/IP protocol driver does not.