VOGONS

First post, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I couldn't get Windows Me to work properly on my computer, I'm not sure if my computer is too modern for this system or did I messed it up. The problems start right during the installation, for example, after entering the key, I get a blue screen:

"Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer. System Halted"

then after the reboot I chose the normal boot mode and the installation continue and after Windows setting plug and play devices and other setting I get blue screen again:

“Your multi-function device (Standard Dual PCI IDE Contoller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatability mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption. After you restart your PC, you will use multi-compatible mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.”

after several unsuccessful reboots (sometimes I had to reconnect SATA cable to other SATA port), I somehow managed to get the installation done. After that I usually install the drivers for USB, Chipset and VGA, there are IDE drivers too but when I try to install it shows 0KB for driver and 117KB for Show HD information, although everything is fine in XP.
I got various troubles every time like: I could not start the computer when connecting a discrete graphics card, but sometimes it's ok. Windows sometimes hung up on the startup screen, or did not boot beyond the flashing command prompt. Sometimes the system would freeze and I had to hard reset, or some windows would freeze and I couldn't even restart the computer. Or after installing some components (Directx) or programs/drivers, Windows restored the registry and all my programs and drivers simply did not load. I have HT disabled in BIOS and SATA mode is set to IDE. I think I tried reinstalling the system at least four times, and every time I ran into issues. Should I forget about "Me"? I think on Windows XP everything works just fine..
Motherboard: Shuttle FS59 LGA775
Chipset: SiS 661FX / SiS 964
2x256MB Elixir sticks
Pentium4 3.2Ghz
120GB SATA Hard drive

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to give a proper solution.

However, there are a few ideas that come to mind.

The setup seems to halt at some point when Windows 3.1 based part is still being used (Mini.Cab).
Or, it's just after Windows 9x has been loaded and has continued running Windows Setup.

Maybe there's some difference between the Win31/DOS based setup part and the Win 9x native setup part, thus.

Windows 3.1 uses DOS/Smartdrive to see the HDD, whereas Windows 9x tries to load its own 32-Bit, Protected-Mode drivers for HDD access.

Troubleshooting
- Remove one 256 MB module
- Try to get an older 32-Bit Windows installed first (95, 98, 98SE), then upgrade
- Try installing Me on another PC first and install the HDD drivers for target PC.
Manually, if needed. Yellow marks in Device Manager are okay, since the IDE controller isn't installed.
After installation, shut down and put the HDD back in target PC.

The problem is, that the HDD settings (drive geometry) should be same in both PCs.
That used to be an issue with 386/486 PCs using CHS.
With LBA, though, this should normally work without bigger issues.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-08, 20:13:
Hi, I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to give a proper solution. […]
Show full quote

Hi, I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to give a proper solution.

However, there are a few ideas that come to mind.

The setup seems to halt at some point when Windows 3.1 based part is still being used (Mini.Cab).
Or, it's just after Windows 9x has been loaded and has continued running Windows Setup.

Maybe there's some difference between the Win31/DOS based setup part and the Win 9x native setup part, thus.

Windows 3.1 uses DOS/Smartdrive to see the HDD, whereas Windows 9x tries to load its own 32-Bit, Protected-Mode drivers for HDD access.

Troubleshooting
- Remove one 256 MB module
- Try to get an older 32-Bit Windows installed first (95, 98, 98SE), then upgrade
- Try installing Me on another PC first and install the HDD drivers for target PC.
Manually, if needed. Yellow marks in Device Manager are okay, since the IDE controller isn't installed.
After installation, shut down and put the HDD back in target PC.

The problem is, that the HDD settings (drive geometry) should be same in both PCs.
That used to be an issue with 386/486 PCs using CHS.
With LBA, though, this should normally work without bigger issues.

Installation is not the most difficult thing. The real pain begins after it. For example, yesterday I tried to install drivers for SB Live! 5.1, I tried different ones, one of them hung at 95%, another on the Windows Drivers installation window, the third one was installed, but I had no sound and some applications did not work, when I tried to run them, I got the Failed to load plugins error. Initially, they refused to install at all, because some files were not in the Windows/Options/Install folder and the installation asked me to insert a disk with Windows Me files. I had to manually search for them and copy them there. At some point, Window cleared my registry again (I think it was after installing Windows Installer 2.0), but this time the nvidia driver worked (although it was reset last time), but some programs didn't start again. I also often got errors that some DLL files did not open. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong..

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using single 256MB stick is going to be helpful, Windows 9x installation with 512MB or more tends not to work.

What are your SATA settings in BIOS ? SATA pots have to be set into IDE compatible mode, AHCI, RAID and "enhanced" will not work and cause problems. There's RLOEW's SATA driver but I have not managed to actually get it working on my hardware nor do I know what are the steps necessary to actually allow installation in SATA mode in the first place. Symptoms described suggest there's a problem with SATA ports configuration.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-11-09, 14:34:

Using single 256MB stick is going to be helpful, Windows 9x installation with 512MB or more tends not to work.

What are your SATA settings in BIOS ? SATA pots have to be set into IDE compatible mode, AHCI, RAID and "enhanced" will not work and cause problems. There's RLOEW's SATA driver but I have not managed to actually get it working on my hardware nor do I know what are the steps necessary to actually allow installation in SATA mode in the first place. Symptoms described suggest there's a problem with SATA ports configuration.

SATA Mode is set to IDE

Reply 5 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears to be a quite late board for WinME, but drivers are advertised on the SiS website. So assuming that the drivers really do work, did you try installing the motherboard chipset drivers first from SiS? It looked like they had both SATA and IDE driver packages, but I have no idea what it would be like to deal with this board if that the downloads are correct and working for WinME. If you have trouble, try things from safe mode. And when it comes to each card, install one at a time until you hit a problem. Agree on backing down to 256MB as well until things get stable with proper drivers.

Reply 6 of 6, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems like 256MB did help to make the installation easier. Still got the "Your multi-function device.." error, perhaps something to do with the SATA drive? But still, the system is not stable at all. I have often Explorer crashes; the system is locking up randomly every time (after opening folders or settings), it is simply unusable 🙁