VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!

I wanted to check out GTA1 on my system and I am running into a few issues here. Maybe anyone can help me here:

My machine is basically split in 2 modes:

DOS with Voodoo 3 using an ISA Soundcard
Win98Se with Voodoo 3 using a Soundblaster Live

On DOS the Sound works, but the 3dfx mode, just kicks me back to DOS after selecting to start the game in the game menu (not the config menu).
I also cant run the high graphics mode, as that one scrambles my screen.

If booted in Windows however (with the Soundblaster Live):
The Windows Mode of GTA works with sound, but 3dfx is not active and the graphics are flickering
The DOS Mode of GTA works perfectly in 3dfx (after applying the trick I read in another thread to press F11 two times down and enter to switch resolution), but here I need to do the sound configuration, and it doesnt seem like its accepting anything.
I tried to check soundblaster, soundblaster pro and soundblaster 16/Awe32. I am not entirely sure what I need as IO as I dont think I specified that . The standard Value of 220 is not working (my sound card driver says I am using E000-E01F but entering E000 doesnt work either), IRQ is not actually asked for, and DMA I couldnt find out ). I already played around testing the 3 different sound blaster types entering random usual numbers, but nothing seems to work

Any hints how I can get either 3dfx version running on my DOS OS, or the SoundBlaster Live for the DOS Version within Windows 98?

Reply 1 of 2, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Already found the solution. Will keep the thread anyways, in case others might be searching.
I saw that this requires the Soundblaster 16 emulation, which in my case was not installed.
I used this guide here by Phil:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html

On first boot it showed in dos, that emulation has not been started. I tried it anyways and it worked. Upon booting again, the error msg was also gone.
So it does work now after following this guide.

Reply 2 of 2, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, seems like I was a bit too quick here. Yes it works, but after playing a few minutes the sound deteriorates more and more. After a few minutes the sound of the motor is almost completely covered by crackling noises.

This issue was also reported in this very old thread here: Crackling sound in Wing Commander III with SB-16 emulation
No solution had been found though.
Issues seems to not be present in all games though. In GTA is pretty bad. In Duke Nukem 3D (also Soundblaster 16 setting) there dont seem to be any issues.

Edit:
Tried my Luck in DOS Again and got it working, using 66Mhz and Multiplier of 2
It Only works if EMS AND XMS are disabled!
It only works if I copy the OVL (used 2.61.00.0439) into /GTA/GTADOS

Also I am using CDBQ to slow down my CD Drive. This however severely freezes the game each time entering a car (no issues in other games). While this doesnt stop the game from running, it needs to be disabled to properly play the game.

Lastly that bug with the resolution is also present, so you need to know that once in the game (you only see a black screen with white horizontal bands) you need to press F11 + Down + Down + Enter