VOGONS

First post, by Geon106

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I've Googled this but unable to find anything concrete. I wish to access e-mail on a Windows 98SE machine but struggling. From my research and looking amongst Vogons and other online message boards, it seems the issue is likely related to the lack of TLS1.2 support.

However the story thus far:
- I've signed up for Mail.com Premium which allows the use of IMAP/POP3
- I've tested the above under Windows XP with Thunderbird and it works great
- Under Windows 98SE I have tried Thunderbird 2.0, Pegasus Mail and Outlook but I hit errors, again likely related to TLS1.2 preventing the connection. The furthest I've got is the point where Pegasus says it has Connect to imap.mail.com but then fails to retrieve any e-mails
- I looked around online and many people suggested using KernalEX to allow a newer version of Thunderbird to be installed, I tried this but failed to get KernalEX to work properly
- I tried to use a newer browser (Firefox 2.0) to just browse to Mail.com via a proxy server I have set up, this nearly works except the page gets stuck trying to load the Cookie Consent box blocking the login screen, unsure if there is any way to bypass this?

Does anyone have any up to date guides and what works well? Happy to use a different e-mail provider that doesn't require TLS1.2 as no sensitive information will be used on this e-mail nor is it used for logging into anything else.

Thank you all 😀

1993:A500
1997:Apricot MS540|P/166|16M|Rage3D 2M
2000:PB 9533|P3/533|128M|Voodoo3 2000 16M
'04:P4/3G|1GB|NVIDIA 5700 256M
'07:AMDX2/3.2Ghz|4GB|8800 GTX
'11:i5 2500k|16G|AMD 7950
'16:i5 6600k|16G|NVIDIA 1080|SB AE-5
'21:5900X|32GB|6800XT|SB AE-5

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- I looked around online and many people suggested using KernalEX to allow a newer version of Thunderbird to be installed, I tried this but failed to get KernalEX to work properly

Hi, is it the latest KernelEx?
Original release was abandoned over ten years ago.
There's a later version and an update for the later version.

Also, you need GDI+ and Unicode support (seriously, Vista + applications expect it).
Meaning gdiplus.dll and unicows.dll; they must be in Windows\system directory.
Preferably before installing KernelEx.

KernelEx 4.5.2
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … s-98me.html?m=1

Updates (KernelEx 4.5.2019.24):
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … pdates.html?m=1

Good luck. 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//