VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are quite a bit of updates for Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in the internet. Most of them are about replacing some files in windows or windows/system folder, but some add additional files.

I've already found compatible compress.exe that can be expanded by the expand.exe by windows installer. I've also found "system.sr_" that expands to "system.src" that is being used for "system.ini" file. (same story with "win.ini")
What i haven't found yet is some kind of "list of files to be installed". I expect somewhere to be a list of source files (with underscores as last letter in extension) and their destination folder. (like windows or windows/system)

Maybe you could help me on this? Some updates may introduce new files and i would like to "embed" them into installer as well.

My current list of updates i plan to embed into updated installer:

calc.exe - WW1138
rmm.d32 - WG0973
serial.386 - WG1001
vserver.386 - Q136418
vshare.386 - WW1000
ndis2sup.386 - WG0971
ibmtok.386 - WG0988
elnk3.386 - WG0990
ne2000.386 - WG0991
efaxpump.dll, faxcover.dll, faxopt.dll - WG0992
nwlink.386 - WG1027
awfaxio.dll - WG1126

WFWFILES.TXT - Q122389
net.exe
net.msg

ndis.386
netapi.dll
nwblink.386
vnetsup.386
vredir.386

+ default svga driver update, syshook, monoumb, ...

If i have missed any "essential" update for win 3.11, please let me know!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 10, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eh, could just keep the machine frozen in time in the 90s and not worry about that. But if you want to drag it kicking and screaming into the new millennium then you might also want the € symbol font update.

Reply 3 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that's not what you asked, but honestly I would go the "service pack" way with this. Instead of changing the original installer I'd build a new one that does the updates.

Reply 5 of 10, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2023-12-04, 16:29:

I know that's not what you asked, but honestly I would go the "service pack" way with this. Instead of changing the original installer I'd build a new one that does the updates.

Unless there is some easy and nice tool for dos to modify .ini file contents, it might be somewhat difficult. Though, have not searched for such utility, TBH...

EDIT: Found something: https://www.horstmuc.de/div.htm#inifile
Looks promising.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 6 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 3.11 fwg is such an universal installation. Meaning portable and machine independent. Well if you have a standard AT class 386 to fuc...g Core2Quad. That I have just made a complete installation with all updates and settings. Just with standard VGA and no sound and network driver. Just zip or rar it up and use that. And add machine specific drivers later. Hey Windows 3.1x is even runnable from CD-ROM. Or you can add files to setup.inf.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the idea. WfW 3.11 was being supported up until 2008, so technically, there should quite be some updates available for it. 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently working on the idea of "Service Pack".
I have 19 update packages, which each will have capability to install and uninstall. Mostly it is replacing files, but some updates patch existing files or change lines in *.ini files.

If i would find some easy text mode UI with checkboxes, i could create a nice view to choose, which updates you want to install... Suggestions?

Quick picture of current WIP service pack folder - total size is around 2MB right now. (the 7z.exe will not be part of package, i use the unzip.exe from Info-ZIP)

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ntalaec wrote on 2023-12-04, 17:23:

There is some information in the Microsoft windows 3.1 resource kit book
https://archive.org/details/microsoftwi00micr

The Resource Kit book is also available on TechNet CDs as part of the big library of technical documentation.

I think what the original poster was originally looking for is described to some extent in: Chapter 2 The Windows Setup Information Files -> Modifying .INF Files for Custom Installations -> Modifying .INF Files to Install Custom Applications. Some headings from that section:
"Copying Additional Files to a User's Directory" - this means the WINDOWS directory apparently
"To specify an additional disk that Setup can prompt for:" (as in you can add more floppies to the set)
"To copy additional files to a user's system:" - this talks about how to get files into sub-directories of WINDOWS

Chapter 2 The Windows Setup Information Files -> SETUP.INF: The Setup Information File -> Copy-Files Section seems to be more of a specification of the syntax of that section.