VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the example i know is ultima 7 with its proprietary voodoo memory manager (although with clever hacks it will now run under a windows command prompt).

i'm curious if there is a list of games (or known suspects memory manager-wise) that will only run under pure dos and not windows?

for that matter i remember ultima 7 was even problematic under dosbox for a period until compatibility was achieved. what games were the last holdouts for dosbox in this respect?

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95's AppCompat keys (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MS-DOS Emulation\AppCompat\)'s a good start to look for games that Win95 strives to reboot into pure DOS mode for. Ultima VII definitely is featured there (among other Origin products).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious this too. After having tried a lot of games, I find some games which doesn't run well or at all in Windows.

Wings of Glory - This game needs EMS and won't run in Windows at all.
Screamer - It runs under Windows well, but the setup program needs real DOS.
Theme Hospital - This game runs under Windows without problem theoretically. However the intro video cannot be played in full screen mode and the MS-DOS prompt cannot be set to windowed mode to run the game. This leaves a black screen and you cannot start the actual game. So I have to go to pure DOS to play it.

All the other games I have tried so far runs well under MS-DOS mode.

EDIT: Adding Jill of the Jungle to the list.

Last edited by GunKneeNeon on 2023-12-27, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.

Reply 3 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My memory is a bit hazy, but I think Jazz Jackrabbit can't work from within Windows. Aladdin also has some errors with either XMS or EMS when launched from Windows.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Lost Vikings, runs within Windows, but music playback is slower than usual regardless of the driver used.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remembered another one: Zone 66, which refuses to run when a XMS driver is present.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After my testing, these games can run under Windows MS-DOS command prompt without problem.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Aladdin
Zone 66

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.