VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-01-05, 08:31:
You cannot use CALL from the DOS prompt. It is just for use within .BAT batch files. […]
Show full quote

You cannot use CALL from the DOS prompt.
It is just for use within .BAT batch files.

Just leave the "CALL" away when you run a .BAT batch file directly from DOS prompt.

Can you show the contents with
TYPE C:\LIVEDOS\LIVEINIT.BAT

I apologize, I probably used incorrect terminology. CALL is used in AutoExec and nothing else.

Yes, TYPE works at the command prompt to display Sound Blaster settings.

@ECHO OFF
SET CTSYN=C:\LIVEDOS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SBEINIT.COM

Reply 21 of 23, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bf_bullpup wrote on 2024-01-05, 16:06:
I apologize, I probably used incorrect terminology. CALL is used in AutoExec and nothing else. […]
Show full quote
Disruptor wrote on 2024-01-05, 08:31:
You cannot use CALL from the DOS prompt. It is just for use within .BAT batch files. […]
Show full quote

You cannot use CALL from the DOS prompt.
It is just for use within .BAT batch files.

Just leave the "CALL" away when you run a .BAT batch file directly from DOS prompt.

Can you show the contents with
TYPE C:\LIVEDOS\LIVEINIT.BAT

I apologize, I probably used incorrect terminology. CALL is used in AutoExec and nothing else.

Yes, TYPE works at the command prompt to display Sound Blaster settings.

@ECHO OFF
SBEINIT.COM

Hmm, so we know why you needed the cd command. The program sbeinit.com is called without a path ....

I find this batch file not very useful, because it hides setting the BLASTER variable.
In this case I (personally!) would prefer to write these 3 lines directly into the autoexec.bat:

C:\LIVEDOS\SBEINIT.COM

Reply 22 of 23, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-05, 21:18:
Hmm, so we know why you needed the cd command. The program sbeinit.com is called without a path .... […]
Show full quote

Hmm, so we know why you needed the cd command. The program sbeinit.com is called without a path ....

I find this batch file not very useful, because it hides setting the BLASTER variable.
In this case I (personally!) would prefer to write these 3 lines directly into the autoexec.bat:

C:\LIVEDOS\SBEINIT.COM

Thank you CoffeeOne! I went to the LIVEINIT file and saw it has SBEINIT.COM in the last line (out of the same three lines I quoted previously). So I entered the full C:\ path. Now I am able to use CALL without needing the two CDs I mentioned in my original post. I appreciate the help!

Reply 23 of 23, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-05, 14:02:
ldeveraux wrote on 2024-01-05, 13:46:
Azarien wrote on 2024-01-05, 09:48:

The same is still true in Windows 10 and 11 though.

Are you suggesting Windows 10 and 11 have been both released for 30 years and killed off?

I think he means in Windows 10 and Windows 11 you still can write batch files.
There is still the possibilty to call sub-routines with a "CALL" command.

well that makes sense at least 😉