VOGONS

Win98SE sys. broken: help w/ alt. DOS cfg?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! As I believe I said before, my Win98SE tower at my mother's house is not working properly: I can't get Windows to work at all except in Safe mode. So, I want to set up an alternate DOS mode configuration on it using a boot floppy. I am familiar with CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT and can create a bootable floppy using FORMAT. I am also familiar with the COMSPEC environment variable that determines where to find COMMAND.COM. My questions follow:

* I have QEMM on the computer. I want to know if it can optimize a system booted from a floppy.
* I have a lot of floppies and ZIP disks compressed using DriveSpace. There's a DOS mode driver that can access the disks, but I want to handle the disks, i.e. create new or recompress existing. Is there a DOS-based TUI that can handle these?
* I have a program called PalmZip, but it works only sometimes: I used to have it on a DOS laptop but sometimes needed to reboot it several times to get ZIP disks to work. Is that with only certain systems? Is it a bug that was recently fixed?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community