VOGONS

First post, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

Is EMM386 totally incompatible with certain DOS games? On a 98SE machine, I've tried games like Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen 4, and Wolfenstein 3D all with EMM386 enabled, and they all start up with completely garbled graphics (though they still function).

Reply 1 of 10, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not with those three games.

Is that in the windows environment or under real DOS? What kind of garbled graphics? Can you post a picture?

What are your specs, and the content of autoexec.bat and config.sys wouldn't hurt.

Reply 2 of 10, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2024-01-03, 19:19:

Is that in the windows environment or under real DOS? What kind of garbled graphics? Can you post a picture?

What are your specs, and the content of autoexec.bat and config.sys wouldn't hurt.

All in the Windows environment. I've provided 1 picture of the main menu from each of the 3 titles, and my autoexec.bat and config.sys.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension 4100 w/ OEM mobo
Intel Pentium III 1GHz
2x256MB PC133 SDRAM
AGP 3dfx Voodoo3 3000D w/ 16MB SDRAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (SB16 Emulation)
Generic USB 2.0 PCI Adapter
128GB mSATA Card adapted to PATA
Sony DRU-830A DVD-Multi Drive

Attachments

Last edited by Ryder252 on 2024-01-04, 04:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ryder252 wrote on 2024-01-03, 22:29:
All in the Windows environment. I've provided 1 picture of the main menu from each of the 3 titles, and my autoexec.bat and conf […]
Show full quote

All in the Windows environment. I've provided 1 picture of the main menu from each of the 3 titles, and my autoexec.bat and config.sys.

System Specs:

Intel Pentium III 1GHz
2x256KB PC133 SDRAM

I don't fully understand. So I looked to your config.sys, you have already a multiple boot configuration.
So the problem happens when you boot into the "DOS" section?
Minor comment: I don't agree with your config, I would keep the config.sys for Windows 98SE original (as it was after the initial installation).
so no EMM386.exe in the common section, not even himem.sys is needed. Windows loads all that by itsself, also IFSHLP.SYS not necessary in the common section. Put it to the DOS section only.
But minor comment, when you boot into your dos menu-entry, it should not matter.

Reply 5 of 10, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-03, 23:24:
I don't fully understand. So I looked to your config.sys, you have already a multiple boot configuration. So the problem happens […]
Show full quote
All in the Windows environment. I've provided 1 picture of the main menu from each of the 3 titles, and my autoexec.bat and conf […]
Show full quote

System Specs:

Intel Pentium III 1GHz
2x256KB PC133 SDRAM

I don't fully understand. So I looked to your config.sys, you have already a multiple boot configuration.
Minor comment: I don't agree with your config, I would keep the config.sys for Windows 98SE original (as it was after the initial installation).
so no EMM386.exe in the common section, not even himem.sys is needed. Windows loads all that by itsself, also IFSHLP.SYS not necessary in the common section. Put it to the DOS section only.
But minor comment, when you boot into your dos menu-entry, it should not matter.

I understand that my configuration has become a bit confusing, and thanks for taking the time to look at it. I wanted to be able to run these games in pure dos at first, but I gave up on it a while ago and am now just looking to run them through Windows - which is where I'm having this issue. I did what you suggested and moved EMM and HIMEM to the dos options, but it seems @ some point Windows became reliant on the explicit statements to boot. Here's the output on startup:

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

autoexec.bat and config.sys are only used for compatibility. Windows doesn't need them at all.
I would rename the 2 files and see if windows boots first (it should)

Check if games graphics now work. The games you listed are pretty basic and would expect to work within windows as-is
Sound may not work in which case add the set blaster line back into autoexec.bat, making sure the settings match what is in device manager.

Reply 7 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ryder252 wrote on 2024-01-04, 03:27:
I don't fully understand. So I looked to your config.sys, you have already a multiple boot configuration. So the problem happens […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

System Specs:

Intel Pentium III 1GHz
2x256KB PC133 SDRAM

I understand that my configuration has become a bit confusing, and thanks for taking the time to look at it. I wanted to be able to run these games in pure dos at first, but I gave up on it a while ago and am now just looking to run them through Windows - which is where I'm having this issue. I did what you suggested and moved EMM and HIMEM to the dos options, but it seems @ some point Windows became reliant on the explicit statements to boot. Here's the output on startup:

For EMS you need DOS. So if you like EMS, you should get your multi-boot running. What was the problem with it?
OK, so now you screwed up your Windows startup, I guess it was the DOS=noauto option, that must be removed, too. So remove everything from the Windows section (and common!).
Easist is to just rename config.sys and autoexec.bat as chinny22 suggested.

Reply 8 of 10, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's some config. Try these instead:

Filename
AUTOEXEC.txt
File size
1.67 KiB
Downloads
20 downloads
File license
Public domain
Filename
CONFIG.txt
File size
687 Bytes
Downloads
16 downloads
File license
Public domain

I assume you've already set BootGUI=0 in msdos.sys?

You should get the games running under real DOS to see if the glitching happens there too, to see if it's windows only or not.

It might be related to FASTVID.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-04, 04:52:
autoexec.bat and config.sys are only used for compatibility. Windows doesn't need them at all. I would rename the 2 files and se […]
Show full quote

autoexec.bat and config.sys are only used for compatibility. Windows doesn't need them at all.
I would rename the 2 files and see if windows boots first (it should)

Check if games graphics now work. The games you listed are pretty basic and would expect to work within windows as-is
Sound may not work in which case add the set blaster line back into autoexec.bat, making sure the settings match what is in device manager.

Well after an evening of testing that seems to have worked. Interestingly, SB16 and MIDI emulation still seem to work even without sbeinit on startup, and each game functions without a hitch! Except for the lack of sound FX in Jill (though the music works), which is minor.

Reply 10 of 10, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-04, 07:08:
For EMS you need DOS. So if you like EMS, you should get your multi-boot running. What was the problem with it? OK, so now you s […]
Show full quote
Ryder252 wrote on 2024-01-04, 03:27:
Show full quote

For EMS you need DOS. So if you like EMS, you should get your multi-boot running. What was the problem with it?
OK, so now you screwed up your Windows startup, I guess it was the DOS=noauto option, that must be removed, too. So remove everything from the Windows section (and common!).
Easist is to just rename config.sys and autoexec.bat as chinny22 suggested.

I went ahead and just removed those lines while I was at it. As far as the multi-boot goes, I didn't really care about EMS itself - but the SB16 emulation won't run without EMM386, so at first I figured I had to include it even with Windows (not knowing it already takes care of that itself).