VOGONS

Question about RAW / Kryoflux images available in the Total DOS collection (tdc)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by tiben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I discovered that the Total DOS collection embeds a lot of disk images in RAW/Kryoflux format.

It seems the only collection (at least i found) that contains as many in this format.

Do you know if these images are real dumps from the original disks or if they are just conversions from IMA files ? (HxC floppy emulator software can do this kind of conversion).

I've already asked this question at Reddit without any answer so i give a try here. Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting question, I'm not sure, to be honest.
I I dare to doubt whether real "flux" images even exist at this point.

Actually, you would have to tap into the drive's read head directly (like with an oscilloscope) and digitize the analog streams directly, using an ADC (A/D converter).

Kryoflux/Greaseweasel can't do that, of course.
On the floppy connector they attachs to, they see the same signals as the normal floppy controller would see.

These signals already have passed through several amplifier and filter stages.

So I think that the "flux" in Kryoflux is a bit of a marketing thing.

It's better than using the standard floppy controller and creating an ordinary IMA file (sector-based), but still not as accurate as it could be.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This topic will be closed soon by a mod as it related to abandonware which is forbidden on this forum (even mentioning and not linking is strictly verboten).

Mod will probably say to discuss this with the makers of this (very nice) collection.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whew. That's a bit hard. It's like not being able to discuss current events happening in world.
On the other hand, it's their forum and their rules.. 🤷‍♂️

To me, this discussion is more about the current state of preservation, not about sharing abandonware.
If disk images are really of authentic nature (RAW).
But okay, maybe this can be discussed in a separate thread, without mentioning a specific collection.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//