VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I have a fully working Windows 98 build with a Pentium 3 that most of you might already know, since we've discussed stuff about it in the past.
The network on it used to work flawlessly, with a dedicated PCI card, now I am facing a very weird issue: if I connect it with a cable straight to the router, where my server with the shares is, it gets the same subnet, but doesn't see any other pc on the "Network Neighborhood" (lan) except itself (I only see the Pentium 3's own shares there) and the other PCs don't see it neither.
If I connect it to a switch, it gets another subnet, but sees and can ping the server and the other computers on the lan, but the other computers can't see it and can't even ping it, how is this possible?

Furthermore, I can't even access the shares anymore since when I try to get in it, it asks for a password which doesn't exist since I've disabled the password protected sharing on the windows server... and it used to work just fine before, this just randomly happened.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 7, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deleted

Last edited by mtest001 on 2024-01-07, 10:29. Edited 1 time in total.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 2 of 7, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are the subnets, gw address and network masks in bother cases?

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 3 of 7, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The password might be the fact your username is used for the network user name and it has to match exactly.
For RetroNAS for example, I always install Win98 as user "pi" any other name and it never works.
BTW I never see anybody in the network neighbourhood but access direct (i.e. \\retrosmb works as long as I'm user pi and give the correct password). First thing I do is Map a network drive.

Game dev since last century

Reply 4 of 7, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like you are using DHCP to allocate addresses? You must have only one device on your network enabled for DHCP allocation, it sounds like you may have more.

Also, what shows in Network Neighborhood is influenced by which computer is your Master Browser. For example, if your Master Browser is a W2K machine, the Network Neighborhood will be entirely different to if your Master Browser is a Windows 10 machine.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running a simple flat network without vlans, etc.
As Robbert said If the switch is connected to the router, you shouldn't be getting different subnets!
Servers, switches, routers can all have DHCP servers so disable them all except for 1 (keeping it on the router's probably the simplest)
You can type ipconfig /all to find the IP of the DHCP server.

Browsing the network never really worked till Vista. WIn9x and earlier. You can try installing a WINS server (basically a MS cutdown version of DNS) but I wouldn't bother.
Accessing servers by going \\192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP address) is most reliable way

and as Deano said Win9x doesn't understand NT style domain\username logins. Best to use the same username/password everywhere.
This is because the server will try with the username that's logged into Win9x and if that matches a user on the server it'll work.
but 9x doesn't have the ability to bring up a username/password box to access a share.

PS
You also want all computers on the same workgroup, If the server is a domain controller still make the workgroup the same name as the domain (this helps with the domain\username login format)

Reply 6 of 7, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll describe my setup. I spent a while designing my local network to ensure that everything works and keeps working.

I have about 70 hard drives with IP addresses allocated, since I use a spreadsheet and hard-coded addresses. Note that NAS's and switches also have addresses that need to be unique on your network.

Both NAS's, the switch and the router all come with DHCP servers. I disabled them all except for the router with a range of 2 to 19, for visitors.

For Network Neighborhood, ensure that all machines are in the same workgroup. I use the WORKGROUP workgroup. This is the default for most Microsoft OS's, however some use MSHOME instead. You still need to specify it.

So, to summarise - all machines have the same workgroup. Each machine needs a unique IP address, but the same subnet, and the same gateway address (your router). DHCP should ensure the correct settings. Only one DHCP server allowed.

Reply 7 of 7, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In your first message you mentioned that depending on where you plug you end up in a different subnet. Could you please provide the specific details of those 2 different subnets ? Is one of them in the 169.254.x.x address space ?