VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I have a Win98SE tower at my mother's house, but it currently doesn't boot up properly. So, I plan to make it usable in DOS mode. I asked for help at majorgeeks.com and got it. 😀 Now, I want to be able to play MIDI music in the background while working on DOS programs. I also want to be able to do multi-tasking or at least task-switching of several DOS applications. I tried https://dosprograms.info.tt/indexall.htm and another web site--forgot the name--and didn't quite get a MIDI player that plays in the background. I got MP3 players, though. I heard that DOSSHELL can do task-switching, but its GUI is only okay. I'm looking for alternatives. Does anybody here have some?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 3 of 6, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I good idea would be to make a clean install of Win98SE so you could have true DOS mode for DOSGames and Win98se for working in multitask.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 4 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have a clean install of Win98 on that computer, but Windows is not booting properly. 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it Win98SE (SE=Second Edition) ? This is the best and only stable version.
What type of mass storage do you use ? I put IDE2CF adapter with 2x32Gb CompactFlash card as harddrive and the speed is good. 30s from Power On to Win98SE ready !

Check your harddrive. If it is too old it may corrupt Win98 boot. Check also power supply or motherboard for leaking capacitors.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 6 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is SE. I don't know the type of hard drive I have, but its formatted capacity is about 127GB. I don't think it's the power supply or the motherboard, as DOS mode seems to work. I thank you for the information, though.