VOGONS

First post, by igor_peruchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi you all!

This is my first post in this great community of renown!
If I'm making a mistake, like posting in the wrong area, please accept my excuses!
I have a Book8088 from the first batch, with just CGA video, and I'm interested in playing the games from Inufuto's site on my machine.
That japanese developer made some new ports for the IBM-PC platform, they are here: http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/
Unfortunalety he only made the games available in disk images, and no matter I try, I cannot extract the files from the darn images!
I tried with Rufus, and even with dd command on Linux, but no luck!
Maybe some of you experienced users could help me?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Igor

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I randomly browsed game "Battlot" which has an IBM PC port and it's true that it's not a standard DOS filesystem image. But the instructions say to "insert the disc and turn on the power", I tried to boot the image in dosbox and it did run.

So it's a booter, you don't extract the files. You are supposed to write the image to a floppy disk and start the computer with it, which I guess will be a problem for the Book8088 if it doesn't have a floppy drive.

Reply 6 of 7, by igor_peruchi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-01-12, 20:47:

If those are new then try try asking the developer if DOS versions can be made available.

Yeah, I did just that, but I don't have much hope he will reply, I've heard he doesn't speak english...
Thanks, anyway!

Reply 7 of 7, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some boot loaders like SYSLINUX and I think GRUB - or at least GRUB4DOS - can load a disk image into RAM and then boot from it. I'm not sure if any of those boot loaders support 8088 though, and in any case I suppose you don't have RAM to spare? 🙁