VOGONS

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to be clear i got a 486 DX2-66 system setup (see my earlier post on a unknown 486 Motherboard) for early 3.xx games but mainly dos stuff going, but i cant strangely get 3.11 Windows for Workgroups to boot ** after ** network drivers n TCP/IP 32b installed. (hangs on the splash screen)

it will run with /n just fine (have yet to install SB16 value drivers yet though) tried an SMC StarCard but it complained it was taking COM2's IRQ (i have a mouse on COM1) and im getting around faulty headers for Serial 1 & 2 on this board w/ an MultiIO card with everything but one of it's COM Ports disabled. , and no i have no means to Disable the board's built in ports. i have two different 3com cards but same effect. same with Windows 3.11 (not WFW)

booting w/ just /b hangs before i'd see the splash screen but the bootlog does indicate NETAPI Failed.

the board's most likely this: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-s … 6-xx-mdt-rev.-2 though i dont have an easy identifier (it originally came w/ a 486 DX-33) but it's Bios is rather sparse, and using AMISETUP didnt show any hidden options to disable it's serial ports.

Reply 1 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried changing IRQ setting of the NIC?
My preferred setting for 16-bit ISA NICs is IRQ 10.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 10, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2024-01-27, 01:18:

Have you tried changing IRQ setting of the NIC?
My preferred setting for 16-bit ISA NICs is IRQ 10.

thats what the 3 seperate 3COM cards are defaulting to. no changes.

Reply 4 of 10, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-27, 02:08:

and im getting around faulty headers for Serial 1 & 2 on this board w/ an MultiIO card

What do you mean by this? Bent pins? Wrong cables to rear I/O? Dead chip?

when connected to em, my Serial mice has Zero Response. by both Windows & CTMouse.

Reply 5 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well if you're using the original (known good) header cables/DB9 connectors and things aren't working, the board has a problem ..least of which being the possibility of the board 'stealing' IRQs that don't actually get used. If it were me, I'd be addressing this problem first =)

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. Checkit! has a serial/parallel port test.
It can do a basic test without a dongle, too.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-27, 03:58:

Well if you're using the original (known good) header cables/DB9 connectors and things aren't working, the board has a problem ..least of which being the possibility of the board 'stealing' IRQs that don't actually get used. If it were me, I'd be addressing this problem first =)

the orginal cables were long lost, as the board was at an electronic recycler,

Reply 8 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CaelThunderwing wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:51:

Ahh.... then that may be the problem there ; there's a couple of different ways the header<->DB9 cable can be wired (no idea what Dell did), and if it's not the 'right' wiring, it won't work. There's 2 main ways they did it iirc, and whatever you've got now presume you need the other arrangement (requires desoldering/resoldering wire at DB9 connector in correct sequence)... should be some reference to this on the site somewhere...

edit: https://www.frontx.com/pro/cpx102_2.html

Some info there...depending on what you've got, you may be able to repin the header connector.

Reply 9 of 10, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-27, 10:37:
Ahh.... then that may be the problem there ; there's a couple of different ways the header<->DB9 cable can be wired (no idea wha […]
Show full quote
CaelThunderwing wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:51:

Ahh.... then that may be the problem there ; there's a couple of different ways the header<->DB9 cable can be wired (no idea what Dell did), and if it's not the 'right' wiring, it won't work. There's 2 main ways they did it iirc, and whatever you've got now presume you need the other arrangement (requires desoldering/resoldering wire at DB9 connector in correct sequence)... should be some reference to this on the site somewhere...

edit: https://www.frontx.com/pro/cpx102_2.html

Some info there...depending on what you've got, you may be able to repin the header connector.

so i tried something last night as a last ditch to go "no way this is the reason .. it cant be this bady made.." the Parallel header and both serial ports haveto be heccin populated to function! but atm its not so much w/ the IO Card installed (eating up resources) but some IRQ's causing now it to boot but after some time after a successful boot Video artifcating occurs. so i cant use IRQ5 7 or 15. (lockup at boot or video glitching.)

Reply 10 of 10, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have tried... various video cards on the board and all in 3.xx or 95 cause this artifacting issue. i can only either think my ISA Videocards have all some kind of Defect.. the ram in that 486 board is bad given the only set that didnt give parity errors when parity checking was enabled was the 8MB kit it came with... or the DX2 is faulty in some way (which i doubt..)for now i think im going to shelve it and try the next board which was some IB Branded Pentium Pro system. i dont like giving up on something, but this 486 has taken my attention span so much over the last week or so.. its time to move on for now.