VOGONS

First post, by Ronin64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to play MechWarrior 4 Vengeance with a Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick, but I am getting constant blue screens. The game boots up fine to the main menu, but when I click training a loading bar appears for a second and then a blue screen. So I tried without the joystick connected and it worked fine. I also get a blue screen when trying instant action and the campaign.
Here is my hardware
Windows 98
Athlon 2500+
Asus A7V400-MX
512Mb Ram
Onboard Graphics
Sound Blaster Live CT4780 (Joystick connected to this)

The joystick works fine with other games and I can go into game options and test the force feedback.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some ideas:
- PCGW mentions something about Access Violation 0x72446, if that's what you've been seeing then there you go.
- Try the 2.0 and/or 3.0 patches.
- Try switching sound card drivers (VXD->WMD or vice versa). Or maybe you have some other card with a gameport?
- Try the /gosNoForceFeedback parameter to temporarily disable FF, to make sure the rest of the plumbing is working. Maybe a different stick, too.

Reply 2 of 2, by Ronin64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-01-27, 18:43:
Some ideas: - PCGW mentions something about Access Violation 0x72446, if that's what you've been seeing then there you go. - Try […]
Show full quote

Some ideas:
- PCGW mentions something about Access Violation 0x72446, if that's what you've been seeing then there you go.
- Try the 2.0 and/or 3.0 patches.
- Try switching sound card drivers (VXD->WMD or vice versa). Or maybe you have some other card with a gameport?
- Try the /gosNoForceFeedback parameter to temporarily disable FF, to make sure the rest of the plumbing is working. Maybe a different stick, too.

I tied /gosNoForceFeedback first and it worked, but I kinda want the force feedback so I then tried the 3.0 Patch. It did not work, so I then tried changing my sound card drivers to WMD and that worked.
So thank you very much.