VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I am working on a DOS boot floppy for a Win98SE tower, as Windows mode doesn't work properly, and I successfully optimized it with QEMM, but I have a problem: when I type "MEM/C/P" at the DOS prompt, I see an entry for "DBLSPACE" that eats over 110k of Conventional RAM. 🙁 Disabling the DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE line doesn't do anything. I really want that driver removed. Apparently DRVSPACE is not loading, as I can't access DriveSpace floppies and don't see an option for "Stealth D*Space" in QEMM's QSETUP. Any help would be appreciated.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was a little wrong: enabling the line decreased slightly the size of Conventional memory the driver was using but caused QEMM to complain that there was too little room for some other device drivers. 🙁

Reply 2 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried QEMM's Stealth ROM feature, the Frame technique, and it was incompatible with my setup. I'm going to try the Mapping technique now.

Reply 4 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently booting from a floppy, and deleting drvspace.bin didn't work. 🙁 Adding "dblspace=0" and "drvspace=1" to msdos.sys did, though. 😀 But now, the config keeps complaining about a registry error upon booting.

Reply 5 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really want to access DriveSpace drives but can't. 🙁 I also want to get rid of the error message at startup. I attached the config files, except that I enabled the "usbdisk.sys" and disabled the QEMM lines here so I can get the files. BTW, I tried PalmZip to gain access to Zip100 disks, and the system crashes. 🙁 I then tried the default Guest program, but when I access the drive, I get a write protect error on drive "@." That is not a typo. I'm asking for help to fix these problems.

Attachments

• Filename
    CONFIG.TXT
    File size
    782 Bytes
    Downloads
    8 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    AUTOEXEC.TXT
    File size
    777 Bytes
    Downloads
    9 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using Stacker instead now but can't figure out how to manually install the driver. I had to install from floppies, so I couldn't use the alt. boot floppy, so I installed to the hard drive. I tried to copy the changed config lines twice and seem to be missing something, as Stacker reports on startup that the driver was not installed. Other than the setup program, which won't run from the hard drive, the only file that seemed to be the right file is config.exe, and it only updates the current config. the .txt manual doesn't have much info, and I couldn't find a manual online. What is the name of the driver I need, and what are its settings? BTW, I successfully compressed a floppy, and it has the program "STACKER.EXE," but I don't want to use it: I'd rather use a memory-resident driver.

Reply 7 of 17, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harry Potter wrote on 2024-01-28, 10:50:

I really want to access DriveSpace drives but can't. 🙁 I also want to get rid of the error message at startup. I attached the config files, except that I enabled the "usbdisk.sys" and disabled the QEMM lines here so I can get the files. BTW, I tried PalmZip to gain access to Zip100 disks, and the system crashes. 🙁 I then tried the default Guest program, but when I access the drive, I get a write protect error on drive "@." That is not a typo. I'm asking for help to fix these problems.

Unfortunately I am not an expert in drvspace. I never used it.
But please describe better, what exactly you need / want to do.
Did you use drvspace 2 or the newer version drvspace 3 from Win95 with Plus! or Windows 98?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DriveSpace
Here it is written that drvspace 3 real mode driver needs 150kB of conventional memory.
So it does not make too much sense to use that under dos, 450kB of conventional memory free will not be enough.

Maybe another Vogon user is able to give you better hints.

Reply 8 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Win98SE system has a lot of floppies already compressed with DriveSpace that I want to use. I'm trying to install Stacker right now, but I can't get the main driver to install. Through some digging, I found the extra system file "STACKER2.BIN." I am currently booting with a DOS boot disk, as I don't want to mess up Windows any more than it already is. I tried copying the file to the boot disk then using the SYS command, and it didn't work. 🙁 I was successful at compressing a floppy and found the file "STACKER.EXE." I had Stacker a long time ago, and IIRC, that file is a version of the driver that can mount the disk on systems without Stacker installed. I don't want that. I'd rather have the driver loaded fron config.sys. Also, IIRC, Stacker has a driver that can be loaded from config.sys if it doesn't boot with the system. What is its name, and what parameters should I use? BTW, I'm using the version of DriveSpace that came with Win98SE.

Reply 11 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it to work! 😁 I previously added two lines to the MSDOS.SYS file to disable DriveSpace. I just deleted those lines, and not only dows Stacker work now, but an annoying error message on startup stopped appearing. 😀 I will check the memory now then run OPTIMIZE.

BTW, I just realized what could be wrong with Windows: I renamed the DRVSPACE.INI file and don't remember the new name. Maybe I can get a replacement file?

Reply 12 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stacker seems to be doing everything right right now except automount a drive. I can use the STACKER command to mount and unmount a drive manually, as I did for the JAM compression software but prefer automounting.

Reply 13 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can now mount compressed floppies but only manually. 🙁 How do I load the driver to automount drives? Also, how do I move the stacker driver to Upper memory?

Reply 15 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Stacker to load hi! I was trying to avoid the compression. I just let t compress a floppy, and now it seems to be working. 😀 I'm optimizing the sysrem's memory right now, then I have to see if it will automount a floppy.

Reply 16 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The driver's now in Upper memory, but it's still not automounting disks. 😀 I like its compression ratio, though. 😀

Reply 17 of 17, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops! I just deleted all the files in the root folder of the hard drive. 🙁 I have to reinstall Windows.