VOGONS

MS-DOS 6.30 ?

Topic actions

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! Was just preparing a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 boot-disk for use with PC-Ditto emulator (on Atari ST).
When I tested the boot-up floppy, it reported back MS-DOS 6.30! Is that normal?

Details see screenshot.

Attachments

• dos630or622.png
    Filename
    dos630or622.png
    File size
    19.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How odd.

Dos under windows eventually went to 7.?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like fake.
It would be a good idea to compare files of that "6.30" and genuine 6.22 - very likely the only difference are the bytes where version number is stored.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fakest 😂

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤷

All I did was using my normal DOS 6.2 installation to prepare an bootable diskette for use with PC-Ditto.
Reason for this was that the problem was that the Atari ST emulator had issues with normal 720KB images (*.ST vs *.IMA wasn't the main issue here).

So I've tinkered with certain floppy drive geometries to make everything more ST floppy drive friendly.
The Ditto manual recommended using FORMAT A: /1 /S to prepare an 3,5" 720KB floppy in SD format.

That was very troublesome, because FORMAT refused to do that with a 3,5" 720 KB DD drive (as reported by BIOS).
So I had to tinker with certain BIOS and floppy drive settings (incl 5,25" drives),
until that command worked and something booted up in PCem (that funny MS-DOS 6.30 message).

In the end, it didn't really matter, though.
The emulator, Winston, had issues with Ditto. Perhaps due to incomplete floppy emulation.

Switching do STEEM solved the issue for me. A normal 720KB DD floppy image was accepted and Ditto booted happily.
I've used both an unaltered PC-DOS 3.30 floppy dump (720KB DD; my own btw) as well as a custom boot disk with MS-DOS 6.20.

It's still funny as to why MS-DOS 6.22 reports as MS-DOS 6.30. The VER command reports the correct version.

Edit: Ah yes.. The weird font. It's a Wyse-700 video board emulation. This one draws everything large in CGA emulation mode.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2024-01-28, 21:49. Edited 1 time in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-28, 21:46:

It's still funny as to why MS-DOS 6.22 reports as MS-DOS 6.30. The VER command reports the correct version.

It's not that difficult to edit COMMAND.COM with a better hex editor.
Wasn't it Robotron who did the same or a very like thing to create their DCP?

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2024-01-28, 21:48:
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-28, 21:46:

It's not that difficult to edit COMMAND.COM with a better hex editor.
Wasn't it Robotron who did the same or a very like thing to create their DCP?

Of course it's not difficult. But I haven't done anything to my installation.
Booting via C drive doesn't show this strange number.

Edit: Just double-checked. There's indeed something wrong here.
Command.com in C:\ seems to have been altered (the one in C:\DOS is fine).

Edit: What makes wonder, though, how did an English "6.30" end up on my localized MS-DOS 6.22 installation ? 🤷
I have no need to grab a random copy of DOS from the interwebs, I do have several originals already here.
Anyway, I'll do an virus scan now. Better safe than sorry.

//My video channel//