VOGONS

First post, by LadyAIluros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finished 6 and am on to 7, but this one is being a pain. I understand this is a Knwon Thing.

I let the install make a boot disk for it because memory, and now I get a crazy large font with "Speech Card Initalization Failed. Program Terminated By Code." I ran install and set the SB settings according to my card, at least the ones that I know it loads. Does the boot disk change your Soundblaster values? I have a Vibra 16 that I know worked in U6, os I know it works okay at least on my default config?

EDIT: I realized the boot disk was not loading the sound driver so I tried running it manually after the error and now the game boots but hangs after I try to start or I let the attract screen go, so I assume it’s running out of RAM?

Reply 2 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Minimal set of bat/sys from back then I used:
config.sys:

device=c:\dos\himem.sys /TESTMEM:OFF
dos=high
FILES=40
BUFFERS=25
DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\CREATIVE\CTCM.EXE

autoexec.bat

PATH C:\DOS;C:\DOS\BAT;C:\PROGRAMS\MAUS
SET MGA=C:\PROGRAMS\MATROX\MON\
SET TEMP=C:\DOS\TEMP
set sound=c:\PROGRAMS\CREATIVE
set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 e620 t6
set Midi=synth:1 Map:e MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\PROGRAMS\CREATIVE
set lmouse=c:\PROGRAMS\maus
prompt $p$g
Mouse.exe

Don't remember which Creative card I used back then. Some SB16 or already an AWE.
Maybe the soundcard needs some software run, that needs EMS (and Ultima VII really hates EMS)?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 17, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same issues getting Ultima VII working on my 386DX/25, back in the early 1990s. Ultima VIII is even more difficult, I could never get it enough conventional RAM.

- Alex

Reply 5 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In comparison U8 is much easier as you can use emm386 again.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 17, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ultima 7 used a built-in memory manager that was a PITA back in the day.
The last time I played it, I think I used the EXULT mod to play it in Windows instead.

https://ultima7.ultimacodex.com/exult/

Reply 7 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Or just go directly to Exult‘s site https://exult.info 😉
(I‘ve been involved with that for the last 24 years 😉)

Reply 8 of 17, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody has asked about the Unisound or what version of DOS he's using (FreeDOS, Ms-DOS, DR-DOS, etc...).

Getting VII working on actual hardware is a royal PITA. It's all because of that VooDoo Memory manager which requires the computer be in "real mode" before it loads (hence the no EMM386.EXE) - since the memory driver throws the PC into a "Flat model" memory mode called "Unreal Mode" or "VooDoo Mode".

If you're using FreeDOS I found a hack/workaround to get it running on there, since either FreeCOM, HimemX, or XMGR are refusing to see memory correctly or in a way that U7 likes. Basically, you have to run the u7 module directly with P ie

U7 c150 p

or

U7 p

The problem with this though is you'll have to use whatever name you have in the game to get it working, and if there's already a savegame in progress, it'll start the last savegame. It's the same as typing "Game" for Ultima 6. I believe the "P" switch bypasses the check for starting Ultima7.exe.

I'm trying ot figure out if Ultima7.exe, intro.exe, or mainmenu.exe are what does the memory check. I think if this can be hacked/bypassed, 7 might work properly on FreeDOS finally, because I've had it running excellently with the trick I used above (using U7 p or Serpent p)

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 9 of 17, by LadyAIluros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay this is my current config.sys and autoexec.bat. I commented out the line about EMM and ran the memory command.

RE: Exault, I don't use Windows, all my daily drivers are Macs 😁

I am using MS-DOS 6.22 and the Unisound drivers for the Vibra 16.

I am a girl-user 😜

Attachments

• IMG_2472.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2472.JPG
    File size
    911.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2473.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2473.JPG
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2474.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2474.JPG
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2475.JPG
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Exult, I don't use Windows, all my daily drivers are Macs

Exult is a multiplatform program, running beautifully on macOS (as I am a mac user myself).

In your config.sys, disable emm386, ifshlp.sys and the CD driver (put REM in front of the lines).
In autoexec.bat disable smartdrv and mscdex.
You need as much conventional memory as possible.

And just to make sure, did you setup the soundcard in Ultima 7‘s install.exe?

Reply 11 of 17, by LadyAIluros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2024-02-08, 05:44:
Exult is a multiplatform program, running beautifully on macOS (as I am a mac user myself). […]
Show full quote

Exult, I don't use Windows, all my daily drivers are Macs

Exult is a multiplatform program, running beautifully on macOS (as I am a mac user myself).

In your config.sys, disable emm386, ifshlp.sys and the CD driver (put REM in front of the lines).
In autoexec.bat disable smartdrv and mscdex.
You need as much conventional memory as possible.

And just to make sure, did you setup the soundcard in Ultima 7‘s install.exe?

Okay that seems to have worked - I assume that every NOPC does not have spoken lines, I don't think we were there yet but I can load in and walk around and it is hell on a hard drive, wow does the drive put in work. It's a 486DX/50 so I know it has the power to run this, but it feels slower than U6 was on the same machine. (I don't know what the min spec was for U6 tho....)

Thank you!!

Reply 12 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Now that you have it working, try getting smartdrive to work as well. That should work better if it doesn‘t take too much memory again

Reply 14 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes!
Back in the days I was able to use UMBPCI to load EVERYTHING and still have enough conventional memory for Ultima7 😉

Reply 16 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

🤷‍♂️ if it works, it works 🤷‍♂️