VOGONS

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to follow a tutorial series on building a raycasting engine, and the first video in the series suggested I download Dev C++ t0 do so. I got it downloaded from what I think is the official website, which says the program supports Windows 98.

So I attempted to install the program on my Windows 98 laptop (Toshiba Tecra M2 running 98SE), and installation went fine, but if I try to launch it, I get a black screen (Can also be white or some odd pattern) and I can't do anything. I hear what sounds like an error message, but I don't see anything, and nothing I've tried exits this screen so I can see it. Sorry I don't have any more information.

What do I do?

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Working fine here, on a stock 98SE - starts up with a splash screen, tip-of-the-day windows and first-time-setup wizard all at once. Had a quick glance at the code, and it seems to be a bog standard Delphi 6 application that doesn't try to do anything fancy whatsoever... Do you feel like verifying whether other Delphi-6-based programs work on your system? Or you could go with Code::Blocks or CodeLite instead. They all drive a MinGW compiler under the hood so while the GUIs obviously differ, the end result should be about the same.