VOGONS

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'd like to first state from my last post Windows 3.11 WFW Fails to boot after Network Card installed. that i Really hate giving up on something, but that 486 had issues i could not overcome , so i moved onto another board i've since had in storage, i initially had the same Network freezing as i did before, and cycled out between a few Network cards and got it to work. until a new freezing issue propped up.

i dont know ? if its video related (ATI Mach64 PCI), but somewhat at random, for upto 4 seconds. the system just becomes completely unresponsive. (when playing Hasbro's Yahtzee it'll happen n when it clears up if im shaking the dice cup i just "let go n drop." roughly i've switched to the same hard drive as what i tried in that previous 486 but sans the DDO. i've disabled the Serial port not in use, the Parallel port not in use, features Overkill for 3.xx like USB (its an early Pentium MMX board w/ USB1.1 and i can get info on the board in a bit) i Have in the past messed with this and used the biospatcher from rom.by as originally i used this as a 9x box till i came across in yet an older post, a Gateway Essentials 700, and in turn decommissioned this Pentium board.

i could probably in the end just throw 95 / 98 on this and bypass a fair few issues, but i dont *Want* just another 9x machine, i just want an old Windows 3.xx machine to play much older games with. i havent tried just switching to 3.11 instead of 3.11 WFW, but i'd like some thoughts to this issue.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, plain Windows 3.1x might be worth a try.
Maybe the hardware doesn't like WfW?

Some Compaq laptops I've used had issues with WfW 3.11, too, but normal Windows 3.1x worked fine.

Since you have a network card, maybe there's a hardware conflict?
IRQ2/9 is used by multiple device types, for example.
The MPU-401 MIDI port, port 330h, may also have a conflict with the network card.

Just a wild guess : Maybe, whenever a data packet over network is being sent or received, there's a conflict.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//