VOGONS

First post, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings - i got myself a voodoo 2 card from creative and put it into my P3 500 mhz machine.
Got Descent2 3dfx community version running fine.
As the topic indicates - im trying to get older dos games to run with glide.
Now its time for the dos doom games using doom legacy source port.
According to the documentation even the dos version should support 3dfx glide by using -3dfx switch on commandline.
But i had no success.

Anyone out here who can help? Thanks a lot 😀!

Reply 1 of 4, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, I never knew a VooDoom existed. Gotta try that some time.

Had a peek at the source code for the last version that got a DOS release, 1.41, just now. The DOS version won't even look for a -3dfx switch at all, the only place that does is win32\win_vid.c. And then, looking at the Glide renderer implementation, I see that it's currently tied to the Windows API, albeit only loosely, so if you insist on sticking with DOS then there's a bit of porting work to be done.

edit:
> According to the documentation even the dos version should support 3dfx glide

Where does it say this? All the passages I could find mention it in the context of Windows, or do not specify any OS at all.

Reply 2 of 4, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiho - i downloaded several dos versions, and some of the dos versions included a html based docu not only but with command line switches. One of them is the -3dfx switch. So i assumed it was capable of glide under dos.

Apparently this is wong, sadly...
I failed to get the windows version running on win98 with glide, they named the dll r_glide_unstable.dll - and that name is well deserved 😁.

I would really like to see a dos version of this with glide. Just because it would be a cool thing to use it under real dos with my voodoo 2. Nostalgia you know 😁

I guess you cant fiddle around with the sourcecode and make that happen?

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you aren't going to use the features that a voodoo card is for then not much point. If you are then someone would need to put in the effort to code a port for dos with those features.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ DosFreak - i dont get your point 😀. If i wouldnt want to use the voodoo 3d acceleration i wouldnt ask for a sourceport which could use it. There are games like Descent 1 / 2 with 3dfx capabilities, be it official or cummunity driven. So glide works for dos games under real dos. I assumed doom legacy would offer glide support under dos because i want to use the card under dos. I could use a windows port but then i can directly go for something with opengl and more advanced stuff - but i want to stay close to the dos feeling while utilizing the voodo2 under dos.