VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I recently purchased the floppies for the Voyetra Software Multimedia Essential Pack, in the pic attached. However, I was sent the wrong ones (I was sent the ones I actually used to have with my Televideo k2y-pro16 I had back in the day, with generic labels plus the sound card driver disk.)

I have the Voyetra programs (audiostation, etc.) backed up all over the place. However, the idea was to collect the floppies with the Voyetra labels/logo. I am getting a refund since I did not get what I ordered, but they do not have the floppies advertised in the listing. They said that they "mixed them up with another order." I have to say that that is some crazy universe-coincidence if I bought obsolete and rare Voyetra floppies at the same exact time as someone else from the same vendor and thus the orders were innocently mixed up. However, it is what it is. What sucks is that that is the first time I have seen the official Voyetra Software Multimedia Essential Pack still in the plastic in mint condition like that, and the likelihood of them turning up for sale elsewhere is probably nil. I do have disk 1 (missing disk 2, of course,) but the label is stained and the data is corrupted.

Does anyone have the Voyetra Software Multimedia Essential Pack as seen in the attached pic? If so, I am asking for a couple of favors:

Can you scan the floppies so that I can print the labels and put them on floppies?

Can you check the data contents of the floppies and provide a directory listing of both discs?

If I can, I will simply recreate the floppies for my collection. On my retro desk for my 486, I keep a 5.25 floppy storage box and a 3.5 floppy storage box on one of the shelves, and the 3.5 floppy box contains WfW 3.11 and MS-DOS floppies, and I am adding app and driver disks that I actually use for this system to it, as I can get them. I know I am really, really weird when it comes to how far I go to accommodate my nostalgia - I can't help it. I am going to check the floppies I received, and if they aren't corrupted, I would need only scans of the floppy labels and simply relabel these Televideo floppy disks. So far, I haven't found any good pics of the floppies in my searches. I might be able to use an image editor on the plastic-covered ones from the listing, though I am hoping to get some nice, crips, clean and pristine scans, if possible,

Many thanks!
Scythifuge the Retro-Eccentric

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).png
    Filename
    s-l1600 (5).png
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Scythifuge on 2024-02-21, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-21, 20:38:

Greetings,

I recently purchased the floppies for the Voyetra Software Multimedia Essential Pack, in the pic attached. .....

Nope, no picture.

Reply 2 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mid 90s I got a Voyetra/Aztech multimedia upgrade kit, that was supplied with a hell of a lot of "shovelware" on the floppies and kit specific CDROM, it was hard to tell what actually applied to the card in the kit, because it had everything for a dozen cards. Due to 3 moves since, I am no longer sure if I've got any of it any more.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-21, 21:12:

Greetings,

I recently purchased the floppies for the Voyetra Software Multimedia Essential Pack, in the pic attached. .....

Nope, no picture.

Oops! It is there now.

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-21, 21:47:

Mid 90s I got a Voyetra/Aztech multimedia upgrade kit, that was supplied with a hell of a lot of "shovelware" on the floppies and kit specific CDROM, it was hard to tell what actually applied to the card in the kit, because it had everything for a dozen cards. Due to 3 moves since, I am no longer sure if I've got any of it any more.

The CD you are probably referring to is on archive.org, along with a SIC version of the 1st floppy of the Voyetra Multimedia Essentials Pack. I used the CD from archive.org on my most recent Windows 3.11 install.

Reply 4 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-21, 21:12:

Greetings,

Nope, no picture.

Oops! It is there now. Thank you for letting me know!

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-21, 21:47:

The CD you are probably referring to is on archive.org, along with a SIC version of the 1st floppy of the Voyetra Multimedia Essentials Pack. I used the CD from archive.org on my most recent Windows 3.11 install.

Reply 5 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing the Televideo generic looking floppies shows that I can see and read the contents of both disks. However, trying to copy the contents of the disks to my hard drive gives me floppy read errors.

Reply 6 of 14, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah. It happened to me a few months ago too. Ordered a veey clean copy of Mean Streets, and received a stupid hoodie instead. My game went to a teenager who probably doesn't give a damn about the game and might have thrown it in the garbage.

Hope you find another copy.

Reply 7 of 14, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-24, 23:39:

Testing the Televideo generic looking floppies shows that I can see and read the contents of both disks. However, trying to copy the contents of the disks to my hard drive gives me floppy read errors.

Try with VGA-Copy or something similar.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 8 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbahnassi wrote on 2024-02-25, 01:03:

Yeah. It happened to me a few months ago too. Ordered a veey clean copy of Mean Streets, and received a stupid hoodie instead. My game went to a teenager who probably doesn't give a damn about the game and might have thrown it in the garbage.

Hope you find another copy.

Thank you. I will keep hunting for either a set of real Voyetra floppies or try to recreate them somehow. One of the pics of the floppies in the plastic packaging looks decent enough that I may be able to use gimp or something to clean it up and print the labels, and even though I can't copy all of the files from the floppies I do have, I can read the file names. I may be able to find those files in one of my archives which I can use to recreate them.

analog_programmer wrote on 2024-02-27, 00:52:

Thank you! Will do!

Reply 9 of 14, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VGA-Copy is garbage and installs some weird bootloader on all your floppies.

Reply 10 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-01, 03:22:

That isn't good... There is always a catch!

Reply 11 of 14, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never noticed something like this. Have to check it again.

I don't remember any better file restoring tool for floppy disks with unreadable/bad/damaged sectors. From my own experience I can say that Norton's "disktool /revive" is even cr*ppier, 'cause it rewrites bad/damaged sectors and after this interventions often happens that data on these sectors is unrecoverable.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 12 of 14, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-03-01, 16:32:

I never noticed something like this. Have to check it again.

I don't remember any better file restoring tool for floppy disks with unreadable/bad/damaged sectors. From my own experience I can say that Norton's "disktool /revive" is even cr*ppier, 'cause it rewrites bad/damaged sectors and after this interventions often happens that data on these sectors is unrecoverable.

There's an option to turn that "feature" off. But IIRC it does it by default w/o asking so if you forget you end up with modified floppies.

Reply 13 of 14, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't do that during copies. It only writes its own boot sector when you use it to format a disk. The way you format in VGA Copy is by pressing one of the function keys to load an internal image matching the format you want (360K, 1.2M, 720K..etc), then you use the regular Write command to write that image to disk. Those internal images have a VGA Copy-branded boot sector in them. Otherwise I've always gotten 1:1 copies of disks I read with it.
I always liked VGA Copy because not only it saved my data from bad disks many times, but also it does it in a cool way (that "Writiiing" voice 😅 and the ubiquitos "WELCA HA HA OME" greetings voice).

Reply 14 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, since the generic-labeled Voyetra floppies are already damaged and I just want to pull the files from them to recreate them with printed Voyetra-branded floppy labels, VGA Copy seems like the best choice. I am still feeling annoyed with the seller for listing Voyetra-branded floppies and then sending me the generic ones. I attribute it to the ever-growing competency crisis. My fiance ordered a book from Amazon and received curtain rods...