Hi,

I am trying to install Win98SE on the following PC:
MS-7A79 (LGA1151, Intel B250 chipset)
Pentium G4560
4GB DDR4 (single stick)
Radeon X550
SATA HDD 40GB
SATA DVD

I disabled everything I could in bios - integrated audio, lan, EIST, speedstep, HT, second cpu core... The bios is rather limited.

Booting from Win98SE installation CD gives the following warning:

Warning: the high memory area (HMA) is not available. Additional low memory (below 640K) will be used instead.

Then

setup /p i

fails with:

Not enough free extended/XMS memory to run setup.
Setup needs approximately 2816000 bytes of free extended/XMS memory.

I tried the same steps on P35 C2D and X58 i7 systems before with no issues.

Is there a simple workaround or should I just forget about Win98 on this setup?

Reply 1 of 7, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to install Win98 using the following steps:

1. Boot Hiren's Boot CD from USB and start DOS
2. format /s D: and make the first HD partition Active
3. Copy himem.sys to D:
4. Create config.sys with the following:

devicehigh=himem.sys /testmem:off /numhandles=128 /M:1
dos=high,umb,
fileshigh=40

5. Copy Win98 installation files to the HD
6. Reboot from the HD and start setup /p i

From this point I am able to run the installer and successfully install Win98 as usual on modern systems with >2GB RAM (adding himemx to config.sys and running ptchsata after first reboot etc.).

The only problem I have for now is the USB mouse. During the installation it was completely unusuable (trashy, jumpy input...).
I managed to go through the installation using keyboard only and was hoping it will behave okay in Windows, but it's not...

Is it a known issue? Is there a fix for it?

Reply 2 of 7, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the USB correctly working using MOUSE.DRV from os2win31.zip, but there are other issues.

1) Device Manager is almost empty, for example there are no "Disk drives" nor "Hard disk controllers" sections.
2) HD works in MS-DOS mode despite having PTCHSATA installed.
3) Catalyst drivers install fine, but after reboot "Radeon X550" devices have question marks.

This happens with ACPI and non-ACPI installation.

I give up on this board for now.

Reply 3 of 7, by [FMC]Ravage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well when I first clicked on your thread, I thought this is silly. A 1st gen core processor is too new, let alone a 7th. I'm really impressed you got that far with it. If it's just an experiment/challenge, awesome, but if your trying to use it as a retro gaming pc...the hardware is FAR too new.

As for your last post...
1) You're missing items in device manager because pretty much every component on the motherboard (and attached to it) is unsupported
2) You might try some of rloew's other patches. I know he made a few different hdd and achi ones
3) I believe some people have gotten that generation of graphics cards to work by editing the inf in the catalyst installer. But again, the part is very new and was never officially supported.

Reply 4 of 7, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works with 7.gen Intel for sure. Device manager can also be fully loaded.
B450/RyZen/7900GS is also fine. Moreover, SB Live and V2SLI also work.

ZenW98_1.jpg
Filename
ZenW98_1.jpg
File size
379.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ZenW98_2.jpg
Filename
ZenW98_2.jpg
File size
439.02 KiB
Views
File license
zen_98_live.jpg
Filename
zen_98_live.jpg
File size
382.14 KiB
Views
File license
zen_98_v2sli.jpg
Filename
zen_98_v2sli.jpg
File size
359.32 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 7, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Greywolf1 wrote on 2024-03-07, 17:03:

Is this purely to get win98 to work or can you actually play games from that era on there too.?

Pushing the limits, +Win98 retro 3DMark Championship. However, all contemporary games/programs work on it anyway. In fact, I also developed it under DOS, with CPUSpd the old addresses are fine, and with SBEMU the sound of the motherboard also works. This way we have a modern hobby machine which is OK up to DOS-->>Win11.

Reply 7 of 7, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Greywolf1 wrote on 2024-03-07, 17:03:

Is this purely to get win98 to work or can you actually play games from that era on there too.?

I want to have one PC which fits all my needs: late DOS / Win98 era games and modern Linux.

I already have a build I am happy with: "Linux Daily Driver / Win98 overkill" LGA1366 build
So far I used it to complete the following games, with no issues:
GTA2
Quake
Quake 2
Soldier of Fortune
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft 2
Unreal Tournament

I just wanted to check if I can use MS-7A79 + Intel G4560 I have around as spare parts, it seems not 😒.