VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built several retro pc's for almost every year with time correct os, games.
Sadly sometimes the hard drive break down, and must me change to another, and again install os, drivers, games, patches, etc, which is very long time.
I have a synology server, and i can mount with windows like network drive.
I would like to find a backup/restore software which work from windows95 to windows xp, maybe 7, and can make a backup to my network drive, and later it can restore a backup to another hdd, when fails the original hdd. For restoring i have a test board with xp/7 multi boot.
what would be even better is incremental saving, with manual startup, if I install something else later.
which program can solve this?
what is also important is that it must be restored to a hard disk of the exact same type and size as the one that failed.

Thank any helping hints!

Reply 1 of 5, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use PowerQuest Drive Image to create an image of a completed system partition, which I then store on my network and on a DVD for that particular machine along with individual drivers, documentation, etc. If I need to restore then my first option is to pull the file off the DVD, but if you setup a DOS environment with network connectivity then I believe it's possible to restore the image from a network path too.

I've used the PowerQuest suite of disk management tools since forever so it's what I'm familiar with.

Reply 2 of 5, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC Norton Ghost used to be able to do something similar and was able to re-image a HDD across a network or at boot ...not sure how useful at boot would be but I can imagine schools and such may have used sucha setup. Norton Ghost could also create HDD images, not sure if it had the capability to restore to different sized drives or not but its Norton so it likely had every damn option under the sun.

Reply 3 of 5, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know that there are any good solutions supporting incremental backups on pre-XP Windows. CloneZilla is what I previously used for my 98 and XP systems I'm currently using Ghost 2003 with Synology VirtualDSM so that I can have SMB1 and MSLANMAN authentication in an isolated server (what Ghost needs to work).

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 4 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Acronis True Image 7.0 should work from 95 to XP. Maybe even Windows 7? If not - perhaps a slightly later version will do.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 5, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2024-02-27, 12:28:

Acronis True Image 7.0 should work from 95 to XP. Maybe even Windows 7? If not - perhaps a slightly later version will do.

Has you any availability for this?
I cannot find over internet.