VOGONS

First post, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a version 6.58 of Total commander for 16-bit Windows, interestingly it has the option to display long file names, however, enabling this feature seems to have no effect, since the file names are truncated to 8.3.

Is third party software required for this to work?

Attachments

• TCMD16.png
    Filename
    TCMD16.png
    File size
    32.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possibly you need to be on DOS 6.22 ???

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you need some LFN driver for M$-DOS, Win3.xx or both, since there's no support long file names natively. Or maybe the problem is even deeper - FAT12/16 LFN compatibility issues.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah there were at least three common LFN drivers around back in the day, not sure what TC would consider the "default" one, or whether they all had to use the same hooks so any should be compatible. The late DOS LFN compatibility was kinda meagre, it just didn't screw it up, like older DOS ver might, with losing the extra LFN data on copy etc. Didn't get the fuller compatibility like on a 9x boot disk. A thing to remember is Win caches stuff so may have to force refreshes, or even exit and restart.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, there are some options to run Win3.11 on FAT32 partitioned drive with M$-DOS 7.10 and LFN support in various degrees, but I never tried such combination (Win3.11 on top of DOS 7.10).

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 6 of 9, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Instant File Access, doslfn, Long File Names for Windows, v2.06 by View Software and I can say that they offer long file names in certain contexts, but not in Total Comamnder 16-bit.

Probably Total Commander 6.58 16-bit expects FAT32 or something else.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply 7 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering actually if it's for the long filename standard for CDs that pre-existed MS's long filenames.

Reply 8 of 9, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The author of Total Commander recommended using the 16-bit version for Windows95 on weak machines, since it works much faster than the 32-bit version. I checked and this is indeed the case. In Windows95, long file names are supported by the 16-bit version. This feature can be disabled or enabled.

Reply 9 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspected that this LFN option has nothing to do with Win3.xx versions. So, it really is for Win9x.