VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi folks,

I had the PCAnywhere package on disk at some point, 4.x I believe, and I might have some 6.x version on a Norton CD somewhere. I don't remember using it much, maybe I used it in file transfer mode like laplink a few times many years back.

What use scenario I am imagining for it now though, is to be able to get into a retro dos machine from a more modern machine. This would make prowling ftp and old archives more seamless for being able to push it to the dos machine and maybe do initial install.... before I forget I found it, or downloaded it on the modern machine... got a bit of that ADD context switching problem where I go off on a tangent. Right so, grocery list, bananas, milk... dammit, where was I?

I am going to have one desk setup where the retro and modern are right there, so spinning the chair around, ftping it over and using KVM are probably gonna work fine at that desk.. it's when I have retro boxes elsewhere in the house, or I wanna get cozy on the armchair with a laptop or something where I want to just do stuff, housekeeping etc on the DOS machine(s) remotely.

Just having the DOS prompt access would be handy in itself, but how far can you go in terms of DOS graphics working for actual potential USE of a dos machine remotely? I mean are adventure games likely to work, anything requiring fast reaction screen access is out I imagine, and probably might only work with anything that uses maybe the bottom 10 stock screen modes.

Glancing at a manual, seems when 4.x was released they didn't expect anyone to have a home network, it's all, your network admin should have taken care of this, your admin should have done that. So not clear on if it's easy to set up with something like netware lite off DRDOS disks or similar for the IPX networking, to go peer to peer, or whether it has to have an actual server involved on a network. Maybe later versions were clearer or less obtuse about that.

So anyone doing anything like this? Please keep alternate suggestions confined to workalike solutions that involve screen sharing or remote access and use, there are several dozen ways to do the moving files around bit. If there's anything exceptionally amazing that only worked with serial ports, then although it would be more limiting for the number of machines I could access to and from, it might be possible to jury rig it with ESP8266 wifi modem emulators or I've got a couple of wiznet serial/ethernet dongles that might serve, so bring it up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hav you thought about a KVM over IP solution? You can get IP based dongles that connect to the VGA output (and kB/mouse) of a system that then allows remote access, regardless of the OS or software running.

They are typically used where you want a lights out management function, but someone cheaped out on the server and didn't buy Dell, HP or Lenovo.

I believe there is even a Raspberry Pi based solution now.

I've never used one of these myself, as I always included the enterprise LOM client when specifying server equipment. But the stuff is out there, so it must at least be functional.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hadn't thought of that.... looking around, I don't think it's cheap enough for me yet. Low end HDMI/USB at $80 but nothing in a retro friendly VGA/PS/2 for less than several hundred. The Pi based one is looking a bit higher to put together than the cheapest too, but probably more configurable and flexible.

Though hardware wise, might have enough junk to do something really HeathRobinson/RubeGoldberg with a network video streamer, vga convertor, conventional KVM and abusing network printer port sharers for mouse and keyboard.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DEAT wrote on 2024-03-08, 00:15:

From the pure software perspective, I've found that TINY does the job for me:
http://josh.com/TINY/

Wow, that's awesome thanks! I have a vague idea that I heard of it's ancestor years back. ... it might even tempt me to put some boring 430FX boards to work with P75s for oldschool DOS datalogging and instrumentation projects with the parallel port or simple ISA cards. DOS weather station or something.

I was about to start digging out my 3c589 to try it on a laptop with a bad screen, off the boot disk.... but then remembered it doesn't have a PCMCIA slot, hah.

Well anyway, looks like it could be all kinds of useful

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I rescued a few different copies of PCAnywhere from server room clear outs but haven't actually installed it (yet)

I use Terminal services client/RDP surprisingly a lot on my Win3x machines and up but as you probably already know that will only access XP and up (excluding Windows server)
Using PC Anywhere is retro in itself so would be kind of cool IMHO but Tiny is probably the smarter choice.

bit off topic but installed a "Compaq RILOE" card in an old server.
http://webdevsys.com/lightsOut.htm

You couldn't copy files but the remote access worked well, just as long as you had old browser and java installed. It was also supposed to work with PCAnywhere but never worked out how to do this.

Reply 6 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-07, 18:04:

Glancing at a manual, seems when 4.x was released they didn't expect anyone to have a home network, it's all, your network admin should have taken care of this, your admin should have done that. So not clear on if it's easy to set up with something like netware lite off DRDOS disks or similar for the IPX networking, to go peer to peer, or whether it has to have an actual server involved on a network. Maybe later versions were clearer or less obtuse about that.

pcANYWHERE/LAN 4.5 supports NetBIOS too. I don't think I've ever tried that mode, and can't recall whether I even tried IPX, but I thought I might use it for remote control of retro machines one day - maybe even have a machine I use for accessing floppies from DOS which doesn't have a monitor attached to it.

For IPX, it sounds like if you don't point it at a (NetWare) server you won't get a list of names, because apparently you won't get a list of names even if you do point it at a server but the server hasn't been patched to the right level. I'm not sure if lack of a list of names prevents you from connecting to another machine, but I suspect it might. I didn't see any mention of NetWare Lite, so not sure if a NetWare Lite peer is a good enough substitute for a server. This book says that pcANYWHERE/LAN (no version number mentioned) supports either NetWare Lite or NetBIOS, and also mentions elsewhere that NetWare Lite has a NetBIOS TSR, so maybe it is good enough?

Central Point Commute, which is included in Central Point PC Tools 7 (not sure if it was removed in version 8 or 9) is a similar kind of tool, but I think it was less mature. It supports IPX and from my notes I used it with an actual NetWare 3.12 server (in a VM). I can't recall if it required a server, but I seem to recall it also presented a list of names, so I presume it might also need a server. I'm too lazy to get the manual out right now to check if it mentions NetWare Lite, let me know if you'd like me to check later.