VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer to burn copies of discs from my image collection rather than locate my original discs when it isn't necessary. It also allows me to be rougher with the discs, since I don't have to worry about damaging the originals.

I prefer to burn games to DVDs, even if they were originally released on CD, since doing so allows my drives to read the data faster.

When I tried to burn MechWarrior 2 (DOS) to a DVD, I was surprised to find that it wouldn't let me and insisted that I use a CD instead. The software I use is UltraISO, and I've used it for years.

I'm assuming that this has to do with the fact that the game is a hybrid CD with Red Book audio. Can anyone confirm that I can't burn these kinds of images to DVDs?

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-14, 03:32:
I prefer to burn copies of discs from my image collection rather than locate my original discs when it isn't necessary. It also […]
Show full quote

I prefer to burn copies of discs from my image collection rather than locate my original discs when it isn't necessary. It also allows me to be rougher with the discs, since I don't have to worry about damaging the originals.

I prefer to burn games to DVDs, even if they were originally released on CD, since doing so allows my drives to read the data faster.

When I tried to burn MechWarrior 2 (DOS) to a DVD, I was surprised to find that it wouldn't let me and insisted that I use a CD instead. The software I use is UltraISO, and I've used it for years.

I'm assuming that this has to do with the fact that the game is a hybrid CD with Red Book audio. Can anyone confirm that I can't burn these kinds of images to DVDs?

That would make sense.

An ISO 9660 file system, for example, can be written to a DVD, but CD audio tracks (red book) contain 2352 bytes per block (very little error correction data) whereas DVDs, AFAIK can only handle 2048 bytes per block (unless I am mistaken).