VOGONS

First post, by OldSimFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any other retro flight sim folks here?

Just finished building a retro gaming setup for 90s/00s sims and am running into an issue with IL-2 1946.

In pilot career mode, after completing a mission objective, the game becomes a slideshow and ultimately crashes to desktop with errors referencing "The instruction at 0x-------- referenced memory at 0x----------, but the memory could not be read". This crash never happens in quick missions scenario, just the campaigns. I've tried different campaigns, missions, maps, etc with the same error happening after objective completion an don return flight to airbase.

My setup is the following:

Asus P4P800-e
P4 3.4Ghz
3 GB PC3200
SSD
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Windows XP Home SP3

Any ideas on these sorts of memory crashes? All of my other retro sims are running beautifully. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 3, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't get any help here, I would recommend asking over at SAS1946 (www.sas1946.com). They are extremely helpful there and have helped me in the past.

Also, are you using a modded install or the vanilla? Almost everyone is using a mod, such as B.A.T., these days. This requires a downgrade to 4.12.2m, but it's usually recommended over the newer versions.

Reply 2 of 3, by OldSimFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 01:39:

If you don't get any help here, I would recommend asking over at SAS1946 (www.sas1946.com). They are extremely helpful there and have helped me in the past.

Also, are you using a modded install or the vanilla? Almost everyone is using a mod, such as B.A.T., these days. This requires a downgrade to 4.12.2m, but it's usually recommended over the newer versions.

Thank you for the suggestion, I wasnt aware of that forum.

To answer your question, just a vanilla install. Not sure this old setup would even run the newer mods. Looks like its come a long way!

Reply 3 of 3, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

B.A.T. is incredible! It has gigabytes of content, spanning from WWI through to the jet age (you don't have to install the whole thing if you only want WWII). It's also constantly updated, so you don't need to worry about choosing which mods to install. You should definitely check it out.