VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there,

I have some old machines and want to write floppy-disks for these.
In order to do so I bought a catweasel controller just to find out
that writing back to floppys only these filetypes are supported:

(bin) (read and write)
(g64) (read and write)
(adf) (read and write) Amiga
(d71) (read and write)
(d82) (read and write)
(d80) (read and write)
(d81) (read and write)
(d2m) (read and write)

ADF Amiga is not a problem, but what about ADF Acorn...what about WinIMAGE ".img" ".ima" etc.
These can not be written with that controller and that software...so mostly converting the most
popular formats to ".bin" should solve the problem.

Thx Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Winimage img/ima are just raw sector dumps. You don't need anything special to write them to disk.

Under Linux the standard 'dd' command should suffice (to both create and write back), your nearest equivalent on Windows is probably rawrite.

That's with standard floppy controllers and/or usb floppy drives. Does the catweasel show as a standard floppy drive when installed?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-03-23, 18:42:

Winimage img/ima are just raw sector dumps. You don't need anything special to write them to disk.

Win-Image can not address floppy-drives connected to a catweasel-controller.
New machines do not support two floppys in the bios. that's my point.
I need to write all images via software for the catweasel and that does not work for Winimage files,
these directly crash the catweasel-software so these images need to be convertet in a format that
the catweasel controller can write...only way out is using a different (older) machine.

Doc

Reply 3 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

USB floppy drive. You can read and write sector based image files without issues. At least on Linux you can.

No special software or hardware is necessary to create or write them back.

Reply 4 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-03-24, 10:42:

USB floppy drive. You can read and write sector based image files without issues. At least on Linux you can.
No special software or hardware is necessary to create or write them back.

No 5,25" USB Floppy Drive available. I currently transfer diskimages to the real machine and write the pc-booters directly to the drive.

Reply 5 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, now if you had said 5.25" support was needed I wouldn't have bothered replying with that.

I keep a P4 era machine around as a transfer box with native 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives.

Not sure there is a better solution for 5.25 disks.

Reply 6 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try compressing the floppies. If you have Win98, you can install DriveSpace and compress floppies. It's under Accessories->System in the Start menu. If you don't have it, you can use the Add/Remove Programs control panel. If you have a later version of Windows, Google "WinMount archiver." It can create compressed archives and treat them as a virtual drive. Unfortunately, when it modifies an archive, it requires extra space to store the new archive file, but I have a batch file that gets around this by first copying the file to a temporary folder on the hard drive, mounting it from there then copying the new file back to the origin. Does this help?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community