VOGONS

First post, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I am trying to run the game Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D but it does not let me get past the menu screen. I remember playing this game as a kid on my father's 386, and I am aware that it is very speed sensitive, but does it really require a 386 of a certain speed? I have tried the game on:
-i486 DX2 66 mhz at full speed, then with Turbo mode off, with L2 cache off, and with both caches off.
-Pentium MMX 200 mhz at full speed, with L2 cache off, with both caches off, and underclocked 100mhz with both caches off.
-DOSBox at 2500-12000 cycles using cycle up key. I tried 386, 386 Slow, 386 Prefetch and 486 Slow CPU types.

In each scenario, I cannot select "Begin" from the main menu, it just ignores the keystroke (or it freezes up entirely if the computer is too fast, like on the Pentium at full speed or DOSBox at 8000+ cycles. I found a jimfix.com file here on Vogons, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Jake

Reply 2 of 4, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately the jimfix.com file mentioned in that thread does not solve the problem of game ignoring the 'Begin' option from the main menu. Maybe if I could get into the first level and complete it, then the fix would correct any hanging issues between levels, but I can't even get the first level to load.

Reply 4 of 4, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-03-31, 04:30:

IIRC you have to install the game off the floppy for the controls to start working. It's a little bizarre but also ....it's jim power

That worked! I forgot the floppy had an install exe - I just copied the already installed game dir from my NAS. After finding my floppy and installing it on the 486 the game runs without any issues, yet.
Thanks so much,

Jake