VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I was perusing Mobygames to look for all games released between 1995 and 1998 to create a list of games for a Pentium 166 MMX build. However, after reading 5 out of 24 pages, it said that my limit was reached and that I need to register/upgrade to MobyPro, which is news to me. I was wondering if anyone knew of a database/list/matrix listing DOS and Windows games listing system requirements so that I can narrow things down to games requiring a Pentium between 60-166Mhz (including MMX titles?)

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was the pcgaming wiki but they often list anachronisitc requirements of later budget/digital releases and then there's the download pages having dangerous ads so I can't link that place in good conscience anymore.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2024-04-08, 03:00:

There was the pcgaming wiki but they often list anachronisitc requirements of later budget/digital releases and then there's the download pages having dangerous ads so I can't link that place in good conscience anymore.

Indeed. At any rate, I figure that anything before 1998 is a sure thing, and that limits how many games I need to look up to just a handful of 1998 and 1999 games. Most 1998+ games will go on a PII or PIII, and a couple may get installed on my AthlonXP. Now I need to find a list of DOS games which work perfectly under Windows 9x.

Reply 3 of 4, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-08, 23:29:

Indeed. At any rate, I figure that anything before 1998 is a sure thing, and that limits how many games I need to look up to just a handful of 1998 and 1999 games. Most 1998+ games will go on a PII or PIII, and a couple may get installed on my AthlonXP. Now I need to find a list of DOS games which work perfectly under Windows 9x.

i think that's a good general guide for games by year, it varies a lot but usually backwards (i.e. some 1998 games are ok on a P1)

most dos games from the 90's work fine on 9x in my experience, although sometimes there is some need to change a setting here or there, or even employ a specific dos boot disk. earlier games can be troublesome though. there are lots of good threads on vogons over the last nearly 20 years anyway, so its a good database in a way

Reply 4 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2024-04-09, 07:47:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-08, 23:29:

i think that's a good general guide for games by year, it varies a lot but usually backwards (i.e. some 1998 games are ok on a P1)

most dos games from the 90's work fine on 9x in my experience, although sometimes there is some need to change a setting here or there, or even employ a specific dos boot disk. earlier games can be troublesome though. there are lots of good threads on vogons over the last nearly 20 years anyway, so its a good database in a way

I just tested Wing Commander 1 on my recent Pentium 166 MMX build, using Windows 98SE and a Sidewinder Precision Pro. Of course it ran too fast, and I will have to slow it down, but the joystick worked perfectly. I will run the majority of DOS games in DOS, though it will be nice to play certain games under Windows 9x for the joystick support, hehehe.