VOGONS

Back at my mother's house: almost succeeded reinstalling Windows :(

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I'm at my mother's house right now and have been working on my Win98SE tower there. First, I installed and optimized for QEMM a DOS setup I've been using to get USB flash drives to work. At the very last minute, while testing the new configuration, the last driver--the USB drive support in autoexec.bat--caused the computer to lock up. 🙁 I tried decreasing the size of one of the UMB areas by using its X= parameter. Same. Testing for more exclusions revealed none. Then I resorted to using EMM386. I couldn't find the MEMMAKER.EXE file, so I optimized the memory myself. The report: 604k free Conventional memory, 49k total free Upper memory and 34k largest free Upper memory area. I can post the memory config and startup files if you want. Then I tried to install Windows. Everything worked fine until the reboot. After reboot, it asked for the CD key. IIRC, it was an OEM from REMOVED. I need to look for a link there for the possible CD keys. I'll come back to you after I apply the key or have trouble finding it.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-04-13, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community