VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news! My Win98SE computer works now. 😀 Before I continue: I'm sorry about my last thread. I was saying I need the CD key. I wanted it to be just information only, as I was able to gert the key myself. I have to continue setting up Windows to my liking. One thing I need is a Windows program to change screen modes depending on the current user, as I want my mother to use the computer as well, and my mother's and my needs are different: my mother wants things to be large, and I prefer the maximum possible resolution. I forgot the program's name, but it starts with a C. If you can give me the program's name, I want a way to have it not appear every time my mother logs on. I have to dig for an earlier thread where I asked for ways to improve the computer. Thank you. BTW, two new issues: now, when my computer starts, it says there might be a bad sector on the hard drive. Canceling the check then saying to continue doesn't hurt. I can fix this by just letting it scan the hard drive, but that would take hours, as the hard drive is worth 127GB. I can let it work overnight. Two, I have a phantom D: drive. I just looked at it and found that it was a repeat of a flash drive I had installed in it at startup. I will restart the computer without it and see what happens.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 2, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The phantom drive is gone. 😀 Now, there's a third issue: I didn't see the sound card installed. 🙁 I need to contact the person who gave me the computer for the model of the sound card.

Reply 2 of 2, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just found the program: it's called Carroll. 😀 I also found Daemon Tools and am getting ready to reinstall DriveSpace. If you have any advice, just tell me.