VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I asked this before, but how do I disable just the 32-bit floppy driver in Windows 98SE in favor of 2M, a DOS-based floppy capacity extender? The docs say that I need to do so and specify how to do it on Win95 but not 98SE. 🙁

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 2 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually don't know, but I currently am in the middle of something else on the computer: I'm trying to optimize a DOS boot/config floppy with QEMM. I'm having a problem with DBLSPACE: it's eating over 100k of DOS memory. I don't want or need it. I'm aware of a setting in MSDOS.SYS to do it, but when I open the file, the only line is ";SYS." Let me see if I can still get it to work anyway.

Reply 3 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It displayed a corrupt registry error but otherwise seems to work. I'll try to access a DriveSpace-compressed floppy and, if it works, run OPTIMIZE again. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I couldn't access two DriveSpace floppies, so I'll use Stacker instead. BTW, how do I get Stacker to automatically mount a floppy? Also, when it compresses a floppy, it adds a driver to mount the floppy outside of Stacker. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of space. How do I disable that feature?

Reply 6 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disruptor: the MSDOS.SYS setting works but causes Windows to display a Registry Corrupt error on startup. 🙁 Other setups work, though.