VOGONS

First post, by f34rthereaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought a small lot of isa cards and this was among them, interesting thing about it that the crystal cs4239 chip is in a socket. Cant say ive ever seen a sound card with a socketed chip before. Was this a thing on sound cards, and why would you need a socket?

IMG_20211020_111640_474.jpg
IMG_20211020_111831_217.jpg

Sorry for the potato image quality, my phone camera is terrible.

Reply 2 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socketed chips were common on early sound cards, see eg. Sound Blaster 1.x, with a bunch of socketed chips: OPL2, DAC for OPL2, DSP, 2 x CMS
But I've never seen sockets on those late-ISA single-chip cards.
So yes, I'm also inclined to believe it's development, not retail.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 11, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coooooooooool! That's some very good swag you landed there.

Reply 5 of 11, by f34rthereaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting! That may explain why i could find much info on the card model #. Thanks for the replies! Ill have to pop it in a pc and give it a try

Reply 6 of 11, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sockets were used in cards in the early days for expansion and servicing. They got dropped over time due to chip integration and cost cutting. And a QFP socket is not something I've seen in a consumer product. They are expensive, take up space, and fragile. I use a tool when handling QFP in a socket so not to damage the pins, so really a bad thing for an end user, honestly.

Reply 7 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well i have socketed 386SX, finding a "Not Bend" 486SLC is pain in the Ass i once tried to bend all Pins so i could put it in but.. yeah i just put back the 386SX.

Last edited by matze79 on 2021-10-20, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 11, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very interesting specimen, nice score.

Reply 10 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't the GF1 chip socketed on the original gravis ultrasound?

Reply 11 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-10-20, 23:16:

Wasn't the GF1 chip socketed on the original gravis ultrasound?

It was.
Even in the late 90s there were cards like Creamware TripleDAT/CutMaster with socketed chips - but this was high-end digital audio workstation stuff...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.