VOGONS

First post, by biggieshellz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I recently bought a couple of old white-box PCs at an estate sale for super cheap. The one I have been playing with so far is a Pentium 133, Socket 7. I just did a clean install of Windows 95 on it, and things are working for the most part, except for the sound card. It's a Mediatek SY1816, ISA, and it uses an Analog Devices AD1816A sound chip.

I have a few questions about getting this card going:
* Are there Windows 95 or DOS drivers available for this card? If not, would UNISOUND (UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b) be a good option?
* What is my BLASTER variable supposed to be? Is this something I need to set up myself, or will the drivers do it?
* I have a PCI SoundBlaster Live! as well that I pulled out of one of the other PCs I bought. Would that be a better bet than this one?

Pardon my ignorance; I was (and still am) a Mac and Linux guy, and this is really my first exposure to the nuts and bolts of MS-DOS.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95 is simple: yes, there are drivers and they work like anything you're used to in newer systems (well, perhaps with a few more BSODs...). Analog Devices themselves don't have drivers online for this old beast, but I suspect Terratec's drivers from the TT-Base 1 listed here would work: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/terratec-pro … dia-base-1.html

As for DOS... that's a whole different kettle of fish. Biggest difference is that you are delving not so much into different software, but actually into the hardware, as there's no such thing as an audio abstraction layer (like ALSA or OSS) in DOS. The software talks directly to some hardware locations. Hopefully there's something there listening and able to understand what it's being fed 😮

What you need to know:
- there's not really such a thing as a generic DOS 'driver' for sound cards. Each game (or other application) supports one or more sound cards at a hardware level.
- Generally cards try to be more or less compatible to popular standard sound cards. This differs from card to card.
- Compatibility is usually achieved in hardware, but sometimes TSR software is needed - not so much a driver as a compatibility shim.
- Aside from such TSRs, many cards need to be initialized in software, in fact all PnP cards do. Unisound is a generic init tool for ISA PnP sound cards.
- Popular standard cards were AdLib, Soundblaster, Soundblaster Pro, Soundblaster 16 and Windows Sound System. AdLib and General MIDI were popular music synthesis standards.
- the BLASTER variable serves two purposes:
1) original purpose is to tell software using the card what the resources are set at. This may be done by installation software (one-off), by init software (every boot) or you need to do it manually.
2) UNISOUND uses the BLASTER variable to configure the card. So it works the other way round: you set the desired resources, then it ensures the card is set to them (assuming it supports them).

So, your AD1816-based card is a PnP card that needs initializing. Once you do that, it supports AdLib (Yamaha OPL) but does not sound good doing it, it also supports Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro digital audio (with some compatibility issues) but mainly it's a hardware implementation of the Windows Sound System, which was also used in quite a few DOS games, but far less than the competing Sound Blaster 16 standard.

That makes it a good match for Windows 95 (which - obviously - supports WSS fully), a decent match for late DOS games, particularly ones with WSS support, but a poor match for early DOS games using AdLib (which works reliably but sounds bad) or being creative (pun intended) with their use of Sound Blaster mode, which may not work if the game does obscure stuff. All in all, it's a pretty unloved, late, very low-end chip. Given that it supports SBPro2.0, the best BLASTER settings to use with it are A220 I5 D1 T4, assuming you're going to use UNISOUND to initialize it in DOS - which I would recommend.

The alternative is the SBLive. It is an excellent card for Win9x (or indeed WinXP), but less so in DOS. Main reason is that it requires a TSR 'driver' to work. That eats some conventional memory, and as you'll soon discover, because DOS basically doesn't do any memory management, conventional memory is very, very important, particularly with early 1990s games that were big enough to be challenging in memory department, but before DOS extenders like DOS4GW became common. Memory aside, it supports AdLib, Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster 16, and IIRC (although never tested myself) it can play general MIDI too.

As for which is better... neither are ideal for DOS stuff. The TSR for SBLive is a pain in any event, neither has real Yamaha OPL AdLib sound, both have decent but not perfect Sound Blaster support; the Live gives you SB16, the AD1816 WSS, the Live offers MIDI playback, the AD1816 a wavetable header... personally I'd try to find a better ISA card (one with a real Yamaha OPL3 or 1:1 clone), but failing that, the obvious solution is just to use both cards at the same time:

- either one (or both) for AdLib, you choose which you think sounds better.
- AD1816 on default Sound Blaster resources
- SBLive on alternate SB resources
- WSS from AD1816, SB16 from SBLive
- GM from SBLive

Default SB resources:
A220 I5 D1 T4
Alt SB resources, plus SB16, plus MIDI
A240 I7 or 3 D0 (or 3) H5 T6 P330
Note that I7 overlaps with LPT1 (printer port), and I3 with COM2 (second serial port). Choose which you don't need and disable it, freein the IRQ for the sound device.

Reply 2 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-03-14, 18:20:

So, your AD1816-based card is a PnP card that needs initializing. Once you do that, it supports AdLib (Yamaha OPL) but does not sound good doing it, it also supports Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro digital audio (with some compatibility issues) but mainly it's a hardware implementation of the Windows Sound System, which was also used in quite a few DOS games, but far less than the competing Sound Blaster 16 standard.

That would be nice. But the AD1815/AD1816 is not compatible to the Windows Sound System hardware standard. The AD1816 datasheet is so misleading in this regard that it's difficult to imagine that Analog Devices didn't do it intentionally. The AD1816 is (given you use suitable drivers) compatible to the Windows Sound System multimedia software standard. This is just an old name for the WaveIn/WaveOut API provided by the MMSYSTEM DLL. If you compare the I/O port description, it will be obvious that the AD1816 programming model can not be hardware compatible to the Windows Sound System hardware standard, which is basically the I/O port interface of the AD1848 and it's successors like the AD1845 and a lot of Crystal chips.

The default I/O port for the AD1816 interface is 530, again a lookalike to the WSS base I/O port address, but again, this doesn't mean the card is compatible with the classic WSS interface. So what remains for DOS gaming is a no-frills PnP card, which shouldn't have any issues with compatibility to the SB Pro, Adlib and OPL3 standards. If you don't want to use UNISOUND, the original AD1816 plug-and-play initialization tool also proved to be hassle-free for me. The OPL3 surrogate in the AD1816 is known for being not very true to the original, but if you don't remember the original OPL3 sound of your favorite games as reference, and are disappointed by any differences, the substitute sound is good enough for most applications.

Be aware that the AD1816 initialization tool has an initialization file that contains the device ID. The retail Base-1 by Terratec has a dedicate Terratec ID. If you install the DOS software from the Base-1 installation disks, it will not detect the typical OEM AD1816 card. The PnP ID of the OEM cards is ADS7180 if I remember correctly. If you install the OEM drivers for no-name AD1816 cards, you are most likely set.

Reply 3 of 4, by biggieshellz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, all -- I was able to get the AD1816 card going by setting the BLASTER variable appropriately and then running UNISOUND. I do notice that some of the game music sounds a little bit different than I remember it from my childhood PC (Compaq Presario with built-in ESS 1869).

For Windows 95, the driver at http://www.buzzerco.com/ad1816a/ works well.

Reply 4 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
biggieshellz wrote on 2022-03-16, 06:16:

Thanks, all -- I was able to get the AD1816 card going by setting the BLASTER variable appropriately and then running UNISOUND. I do notice that some of the game music sounds a little bit different than I remember it from my childhood PC (Compaq Presario with built-in ESS 1869).

That's probably the AdLib/OPL stuff. ES1869 also doesn't have 'real' Yamaha OPL either, but its ESFM is one of the more highly-regarded alternatives. It's all subjective though. One of the many rabbit holes you can go down in the DOS sound scene is getting cards with various OPL-like implementations and comparing. Some people have (very) strong opinions, and some implementations are hilariously awful (Prometheus Aria...), but individual nostalgia is frequently more relevant than whatever someone now with access to far more options than anyone in the day had thinks. If you had ES1869-based sound, it might be worth looking for one now as well, even if it can't actually do anything signifciant that AD1816 can't do. At least it's cheaper than my nostalgia - I had a Gravis Ultrasound Max back in the day... 😉