VOGONS

First post, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm working with a Dell Optiplex 790 MT that has terrible onboard sound. The machine currently has a Xonar DG PCI running only Windows 10. I plan on dual booting XP with it. I have an Audigy 2ZS OEM on hand that I could use, possibly with the Daniel K drivers.

I want to have decent compatibility and sound quality. I have been using optical output from the Xonar but that's a non-factor moving forward. Connection to the front panel would be great. I don't currently have it hooked up.

As a wild card, would a PCIE CMI8738 be a decent option or a waste of time? I like the thought of freeing up the PCI slot.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 1 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy all the way in my opinion, I have a Xonar DG and I've had lots of compat problems with it. I don't remember what OS I was running it with but I can recall there were games with broken audio, for example: The Simpsons Hit & Run.

I don't remember how many issues besides that I had but I know that was the last straw and I replaced it with an Audigy board after that.

Reply 2 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1 for Audigy (or X-fi).

Though I don't like mixing daily driver functions with retro gaming rigs and in general I don't see any value in having Windows 10 on a nostalgia/retro rig. By the time W10 released games became much more of a service than a product and aside of GoG and some Steam games, you don't really have any control over them. For this reason I doubt anything released after online DRM became the norm will ever become retro. Once clients drop support for an OS your only way of gaming for most games on period correct hardware will be piracy.

Btw. I have a Xonar DGX in my daily driver SB0460 in my main XP rig and Audigy 2 ZS in my secondary. I'm satisfied with the Xonar for modern tasks and audio quality, but wouldn't attempt using it for retro.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Xonar is a product line, not a specific product. My DGX is from 2013 which is after XP era (mainstream support ended in 2009, though because of its popularity it had better extended support). Like Sound Blaster for Creative.

As for PCI-e X-fi, SB0880.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-04-15, 20:42:

Are any of the PCIE XFis any good?

I recently upgraded my XP machine's sound card from an Audigy 2ZS to an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCIe.

It's worthwhile upgrade. The X-Fi delivers clean audio (I was having issues with my Audigy that needs repair). Plus there are games like Battlefield 2 that have audio capabilities specific to the X-Fi series.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-04-16, 15:35:

That's great to know. Any model of SB0880 will be good to go?

You'll want one with the EMU20K2 chipset (e.g. the Titanium Fatal1ty Champion or Titanium Fatal1ty Professional cards).

You'll want to avoid the Titanium HD as apparently it lacks support for Windows XP.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards