VOGONS

First post, by speeddemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently added a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD to my Windows 10 rig (that I primarily use for playing retro games) and I'm running into this weird issue where everything I run through the Auxiliary Input on the X-Fi card has reverb added to it. I primarily use the Aux input for piping my Roland SC-88 back into my PC so I can mix its volume.

I'm running Daniel K's 8.0r3 drivers and I feel like I've gone into all the Creative utilities & control panels and disabled any sound effects, but the reverb persists. To be clear, I'm not sure it's reverb, but it sounds like I'm hearing a slight echo on what's coming through the Aux input.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thank you!

PC#1: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98
PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98
PC#3: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP
PC#4: i9-9900K / Gigabyte Z390M / GTX 1070 / X-Fi Ti HD + SC-88 / Win10

Reply 1 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
speeddemon wrote on 2022-04-18, 03:14:
I recently added a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD to my Windows 10 rig (that I primarily use for playing retro games) and I'm ru […]
Show full quote

I recently added a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD to my Windows 10 rig (that I primarily use for playing retro games) and I'm running into this weird issue where everything I run through the Auxiliary Input on the X-Fi card has reverb added to it. I primarily use the Aux input for piping my Roland SC-88 back into my PC so I can mix its volume.

I'm running Daniel K's 8.0r3 drivers and I feel like I've gone into all the Creative utilities & control panels and disabled any sound effects, but the reverb persists. To be clear, I'm not sure it's reverb, but it sounds like I'm hearing a slight echo on what's coming through the Aux input.

Thank you!

Hi,
I can only tell how it works with and Audigy 2 ZS but you should try EAX Studio anyway. Open it and select "Source" on the left side then "Analog Mix" on the right side. Set Original Sound to 100% and all other effects to 0%.

eax_studio.png
Filename
eax_studio.png
File size
263.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This way you can still use effects for other sources and only keep the analog inputs "dry".
E.g in case of the "Midi Synth" source you should definitely set Reverb and Chorus to a reasonable value and not to 0%.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 6, by Machforr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I happen to have the same setup on my Win10 system: Soundblaster X-fi titanium HD with an SC-88VL plugged in the AUX of the card.

While I didn't have that particular effect happen, I also use the bundled creative programs on my system. (I didn't know there were alternative for the Titanium HD).
Maybe you have an effect enabled somewhere that doesnt show. The creative console I have installed does give access to several options like 'crystalize' and other EAX effects.

Reply 3 of 6, by speeddemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-04-18, 10:34:
Hi, I can only tell how it works with and Audigy 2 ZS but you should try EAX Studio anyway. Open it and select "Source" on the l […]
Show full quote
speeddemon wrote on 2022-04-18, 03:14:
I recently added a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD to my Windows 10 rig (that I primarily use for playing retro games) and I'm ru […]
Show full quote

Thank you!

Hi,
I can only tell how it works with and Audigy 2 ZS but you should try EAX Studio anyway. Open it and select "Source" on the left side then "Analog Mix" on the right side. Set Original Sound to 100% and all other effects to 0%.
eax_studio.png

This way you can still use effects for other sources and only keep the analog inputs "dry".
E.g in case of the "Midi Synth" source you should definitely set Reverb and Chorus to a reasonable value and not to 0%.

Do the X-Fi cards install EAX Studio? I couldn't find it on my install, but maybe I installed something incorrectly 🤷 I solely installed Daniel K's pack with most of the options enabled.

Machforr wrote on 2022-04-18, 14:32:

Hello! I happen to have the same setup on my Win10 system: Soundblaster X-fi titanium HD with an SC-88VL plugged in the AUX of the card.

While I didn't have that particular effect happen, I also use the bundled creative programs on my system. (I didn't know there were alternative for the Titanium HD).
Maybe you have an effect enabled somewhere that doesnt show. The creative console I have installed does give access to several options like 'crystalize' and other EAX effects.

I've gone through and disabled all those affects I could find. I even tried switching between multiple modes and disabling all the effects to be certain. I have a feeling there's some control I'm not understanding... I just find it bizarre any effects are enabled by default.

Last edited by speeddemon on 2022-04-18, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98

Reply 4 of 6, by Machforr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm unfamiliar with the Daniel K pack, though there are 3 modes to the default creative console for the X-fi titanium: Entertainment, Game and Audio creation. Each give access to different audio options on the card.

I can't confirm if applying a modifier in a mode stays within the card's setup if it's removed from the system and put in another. But maybe something was applied to it prior to you starting to use it?

Wish I could help more than that.

Reply 5 of 6, by speeddemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mystery solved. I figured it out through tinkering. It wasn't reverb, it was that the Aux input was doubling up.

I had enabled "Listen to this device" under "Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Auxiliary > Listen". Disabling this solved my problem:

Screenshot 2022-04-18 123900.png
Filename
Screenshot 2022-04-18 123900.png
File size
54.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And then by default the Auxiliary Level was unmuted under "Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers > Levels":

Screenshot 2022-04-18 124016.png
Filename
Screenshot 2022-04-18 124016.png
File size
60.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This was just resulting in everything being duplicated with enough of a delay that it sounded off.