VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just some tips for anyone having trouble with the Ensoniq Audio PCI (1370 varient) to work in DOS 6.22

For Win 98, the installation is easy. If you can find the Windows 95 driver for the 1370 card, it install no problem in windows 98. Get the driver here: https://archive.org/details/soundcarddriversensoniqES370PCI

For DOS however, you need to use the windows 3.1 installer. The one from the Vogons database would not work. However if you download apiwiz31 from here:http://www.dosdays.co.uk/media/ensoniq/AudioP … 70/apiwiz31.zip
In order for this to work I had to copy a Windows 3.1 folder I installed in Dosbox over to my DOS HDD. I opened win 3.1, used the "run" command and ran the installer. Sure enough it worked great.

Ensure you do this in BIOS:
Make the PCI slot the card is installed in, set to IRQ 10 in the BIOS.
Make sure IRQ 5 & 7 are Legacy ISA as well as DMA 0, 1, 3 and 5.

I found this card worked very well with almost any DOS game I played. The OPL 2/3 games obviously had bad /poor FM synth emulation, however the sound quality for sound effects was good and it almost always used its Gen midi wave table when I selected Roland for sound in games that didn't support General Midi.
I have a Resound adlib clone I use when I want to play OPL games. I just configure my config sys menu to give me the option load DOS without the Ensoniq batch file running in the Autoexec.bat. Some games just prefer OPL cards like the SB16 and don't work well regardless. (See Black Thorne). But it's a trade off for me. I must say though, through all my trials and errors, the 8 dollar PCI ES1370 has worked and sounded the best for me in Windows and DOS.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The DOS drivers uploaded by Phil to the ensoniq section in vogonsdrivers were fake, those were creative drivers for ES1371.
These are the Ensoniq DOS/WIN9x drivers for Audio PCI 1000/3000 (ES1370). I downloaded the DOS drivers from dosdays.co.uk and repackaged them.
For me they worked without changing anything in BIOS, of course you'll need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and SOUNDSCAPE.INI files.
My card was at IRQ 9 and for DOS i used the same settings as the windows legacy device (IRQ 7). BTW i installed the AUDIO PCI 64 Update for Windows not the Ensoniq driver included here, but you'll need to copy the wavesets manually for that one. The file apiwiz95.exe in vogonsdrivers is corrupt.
https://archive.org/details/es-1370-pci

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 2 of 8, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3 sound cards installed on my Pentium 3. The 1370 for Windows 98, Soundscape s2000 for DOS midi along with a CT 2800 for older DOS games and other compatility issues. If you disable the legacy settings for the Ensoniq cards in Device manager you can have all three installed and running perfectly in Windows, which I do. I have them chained using audio cables so no switching required. I also remove the sb emulation settings in ssinit.bat for the s2000 card so it doesn't try to share resources with the sb 16 on DOS.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 3 of 8, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dondiego wrote on 2022-09-09, 10:55:

The DOS drivers uploaded by Phil to the ensoniq section in vogonsdrivers were fake, those were creative drivers for ES1371.

I wouldn't call them fake drivers. Offering the Creative drivers for Ensoniq cards was pretty common, even back when these cards were still in regular use. I would guess that the Creative drivers were actually meant to be compatible with the ES1370, but they were so buggy that they ended up not working. I had a lot of problems with these cards that would be fixed by changing the driver version (not always updating).

Reply 4 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The description says "Ensoniq AudioPCI DOS Drivers (relatives too)" but they are creative drivers for the SB PCI 64V (based on ES1371) that happen to work with other ES1371 based cards. Creative never released drivers for ES1370 cards AFAIK.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 5 of 8, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah the Drivers for the 1370 from Vogons DO NOT WORK IN DOS! I had to download them from the link above. Its frustrating though because in order to get the directory with DOS driver you have to install it from Windows 3.1. However if you have the folder as a backup somewhere you can just throw it in your Dos partition then edit the autoexec.bat file to load the drivers.

Reply 6 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote on 2022-09-09, 10:55:
The DOS drivers uploaded by Phil to the ensoniq section in vogonsdrivers were fake, those were creative drivers for ES1371. Thes […]
Show full quote

These are the Ensoniq DOS/WIN9x drivers for Audio PCI 1000/3000 (ES1370). I downloaded the DOS drivers from dosdays.co.uk and repackaged them.
For me they worked without changing anything in BIOS, of course you'll need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and SOUNDSCAPE.INI files.
My card was at IRQ 9 and for DOS i used the same settings as the windows legacy device (IRQ 7). BTW i installed the AUDIO PCI 64 Update for Windows not the Ensoniq driver included here, but you'll need to copy the wavesets manually for that one. The file apiwiz95.exe in vogonsdrivers is corrupt.
https://archive.org/details/es-1370-pci

So, is this download good to go in DOS, without needing to install in Win 3.1 first?

Failing that, could someone zip & attach their DOS-ready folder here? Then I will upload to Vogons Drivers.

Reply 7 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The drivers i uploaded are for DOS, it's just a zip file (EAPCIDOS.ZIP) and you need to edit the files i mentioned (copying from AUTOEXEC.ADD). I tried them with DOS 7.1 from 98 SE.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 8 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote on 2022-09-22, 07:32:

The drivers i uploaded are for DOS, it's just a zip file (EAPCIDOS.ZIP) and you need to edit the files i mentioned (copying from AUTOEXEC.ADD). I tried them with DOS 7.1 from 98 SE.

Nice. Done: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=47,38