VOGONS

First post, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've previously used my CT3600 with Windows 3.11 and I had the AWE Control Panel where I could make adjustments like chorus and reverb, and load a custom soundfont.

I'm missing this functionality on Windows 98 with AWE32 drivers I installed from philscomputerlab.com

MIDI music sounds terrible.

I see in Multimedia control panel under MIDI the default output selection is Creative Music Synth [220], but below it there is SB AWE32 MIDI Synth [620] which I'm sure is what I want, but it isn't the default choice. I can choose it but there are no options for it. In games it sounds nearly silent, there is no way to raise the volume.

I feel like I'm missing something in the driver.

I'm testing with Roadrash, which has AWE32 support built in (includes aweman32.dll) and has custom SBK soundfonts and custom MIDI tracks. That is not working, or is too quiet to hear. Only Creative Music Synth on 220 is audibly working, and it's garbage. I'm sure address 620 is the correct one, but it's not audible and I have no way to adjust it.

Does anyone have this working properly on Windows 98?

Reply 2 of 6, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is an updated awe win9x driver available on phil's site. that's all i have ever installed and it's largely optional. the built-in windows drivers should have already given you a preconfigured awe control panel set up with synthgm.sbk. check control panel and remove/reinstall in device manager if it's missing.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suggest installing the drivers from a CD that came with the AWE32 instead, one of them is located at VOGONS drivers. That would make sure that the essential programs are available which includes the AWE Control Panel.

After doing that, install the updates from the sbw9xup.exe file.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 6, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed from the driver CD. There were problems with volume level on and off, but worse, I installed RealAudio player bundled on the AWE32 driver CD and it broke video playback in games!

It damaged my system and I don't know how to fix that. Uninstalling did not fix video playback that was working before.

Nvidia driver reinstall and DirectX reinstall did not fix!

I don't know what it damaged in the Windows installation.

Reply 6 of 6, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something is still very wrong, it's too quiet. In the mixer I have synth turned all the way up, and music turned all the way up in games, still, I have to turn sound effects all the way down just to hear the music.

I didn't have this problem in Windows 3.11 or in DOS games.