VOGONS

HDD Clicker - HDD Sound Simulator

Topic actions

Reply 102 of 104, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got mine last week. Like other folks, I was concerned that the piezo buzzer wouldn't be realistic enough, but it's way more convincing than I expected.

Up close, it's a sterile popping sound, but inside a case running a couple fans and a real floppy drive, I have to listen closely to notice that it's fake. I think the fact that it makes sounds at the correct times really makes up for any issues with the sound quality. I got the version with the sticker, and It's still plenty loud. Honestly, I think it's louder than the real thing. I didn't get the 3D printed case. I might experiment with mounting and sound damping options.

The only thing missing is the motor spinning sound. I had an idea for a simple way of doing this, but I won't have time to breadboard the circuit in the near future, so I thought I would share here in case someone finds it compelling. Maybe the motor sounds could be reproduced well enough by using a couple of oscillators generating the right waveforms. If the oscillator frequency is voltage controlled, the spin-up could be reproduced easily enough by charging a capacitor. Adding some trim pots for adjusting the waveforms and low pass could enable mimicking different drive models.

Anyway, that's my hare-brained idea. Meanwhile, my rig suddenly feels more complete with the HDD clicker.

Reply 103 of 104, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnnycontrario wrote on 2023-06-25, 18:49:

I just got mine last week. Like other folks, I was concerned that the piezo buzzer wouldn't be realistic enough, but it's way more convincing than I expected.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it.
Looking forward to hear the results of your further experiments !

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 104 of 104, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been tinkering with different ways of dampening the sound of the HDD Clicker.

I encased it in a plastic project box padded out with foam. With the lid sealed it muffles the sound and reduces the higher frequencies. I think it sounds more like a real hard drive this way.

I like the result and will probably do this with the HDD Clickers I have in other systems as well.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards